Press release for Car Free Fremont. Please fwd far & wide.

  • Mark Watson
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2001
      Car Free Fremont
      Sunday, September 16, 2001
      9 a.m. to 9 p.m. - Fremont (Seattle, WA)

      For Immediate Release

      Contact
      Sarah Kavage or Robert Zverina: 206-547-6433
      rob@... or skavage@...
      website: http://www.thinksmall.org

      Fremont Divorces the Automobile for a Day

      The honeymoon's over! The American romance with the automobile will be declared officially dead in Fremont on Sunday, September 16, 2001. In an effort to promote alternative transportation and celebrate the streets as public space, 35th Street and Canal Street between 1st Avenue and Phinney Avenue will be closed in the neighborhood for the first ever Car Free Fremont. Cyclists and bus riders, skaters and walkers, skateboarders and, yes, even reluctant car users are encouraged to join Fremont residents in celebrating Car-freedom.

      Featured events include:
      � Free workshops on bike repair, safety and maintenance
      � Art bike and kinetic sculpture rally
      � Free inline skating workshops
      � A roller disco in the street
      � Construction of sculptural bike racks
      � A benefit for Bikeworks, a nonprofit bicycle repair shop and after-school program in Columbia City

      A variety of other participatory neighborhood activities will also be taking place in the space that is typically reserved for cars, illustrating how the absence of cars can create alternative focal points for community gathering, interaction and creativity. It's a block party with a message!

      The event is funded through a grant from the City of Seattle CarSmart Communities Program which funds neighborhood-based projects that encourage people to drive less, drive smarter, and explore alternatives to cars. For more information about the City of Seattle CarSmart Communities program, see http://www.cityofseattle.net/carsmart

      Some quick facts about auto use:
      � The average car in King County makes 12 vehicle trips a day - nearly half of those are to destinations 3 miles or less from home.
      � If each household in Seattle made just one less car trip per day, that would remove enough cars from the streets daily to fill the parking garage at the Bon Marche about 500 times! That's about 3 million less vehicles on our streets every week.
      � Cars are the source of over half of our air pollution and the largest contributor to global warming in the Northwest. 90% of carbon monoxide is from vehicle exhaust.
      � At least a dozen bikes can be parked in the space it takes to store one automobile. Most vehicles spend an average of 23 hours a day parked, taking up space in our streets and neighborhoods that could be used for gardens, playgrounds, parks, or public art.

      ###

      ==
      Mark Watson
      Carfree Seattle
      Website - http://carfree_seattle.tripod.com

      Get a FREE e-mail account and save 5 square feet of rainforest with every e-mail you send or receive! Visit http://www.planet-save.com to sign up now!
    • Simon Baddeley
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 2001
        Dear Mark

        This sounds great and I wish I could come over from England to enjoy the
        day, though things are going to be a bit better in London this year. How
        about getting a local theatre group to stage a divorce court process in
        which a driver who has fallen out of love with, and is now trying to
        divorce, their car goes for a huge settlement to help support their future
        carfree life after many years of cruel treatment as a car-dependent "zombie"
        (you know the sort of language the lawyers might use during settlement
        negotiation.) You might have the car counter-claiming for custody of
        children with a big court battle to follow on their future welfare. Dramatic
        stuff. In Birmingham a few years ago Friends of the Earth had a court case
        in which a car was tried founf guilty and condemned to death for serial
        murder and "executed" but that might be in bad taste.

        Best wishes

        Simon

        Simon Baddeley
        34 Beaudesert Road