FWD:Land of the Free…Parking

  • joemendoza21@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25, 2001
      I found this article by Alan Durning to be interesting, I found it at
      the following location:

      http://www.mlui.org/projects/growthmanagement/sprawl/durnparkedit.asp

      Land of the Free…Parking
      Cheap spaces drive fuel prices up

      June 14, 2001

      By Alan Durning
      Elm Street Writers Group

      President Bush's answer to soaring gasoline prices and
      supposed dwindling supplies is to drill for oil from the Arctic
      National Wildlife Refuge to the Florida coast. But he'd find a much
      larger source of untapped energy, and a solution to rising family
      transportation and civic costs, somewhere else entirely: In the zoning
      and tax codes that make America the land of the free parking place.

      Free parking, it turns out, is a powerful cause of the
      nation's unquenchable thirst for gasoline. The driving that induces
      this thirst underlies an array of national concerns, not just rising
      fuel prices but also global climate change, dependence on foreign oil,
      tightening traffic snarls, relentless sprawl, and worsening urban
      smog.

      We Americans end more than 90 percent of our car trips in
      free parking spaces. But they aren't really free. In fact, as a nation
      we pay more to store our vehicles during the 23 hours a day when
      they're immobile than we do to keep their tanks full.

      Fully 50 percent of the cost of parking is paid by
      employers, businesses drivers patronize, and citizens. Another 40
      percent of the cost of parking is paid through rent and mortgages for
      off-street parking at home. With everybody sharing the cost, it's no
      wonder that drivers have almost nothing to gain by leaving their cars
      at home.

      Only about 10 percent of the nation's parking bill is
      pay-per-use at meters, lots, or garages. Pay parking is rare because
      antiquated provisions in zoning and tax codes - along with expansive
      street designs - bloat the parking supply and glut the market. Most
      zoning codes require a surplus of parking spaces. In the Pacific
      Northwest, for example, office buildings are required to provide up to
      four spaces per 1,000 square feet of floor space. Retail developers
      devote more space to cars than to merchandise.

      The resulting oceans of parking not only invite parking
      lots between streets and buildings and by separating the destinations
      people want to reach.

      A few communities have recently begun shrinking parking
      requirements. Portland, Oregon, exempts downtown residential
      development from required off-street parking. Olympia, Washington, has
      no minimum parking requirements in its downtown.

      A simpler reform: Strike all off-street parking
      requirements from the law books and leave it to property owners to
      decide how much parking space to provide. Many owners, especially real
      estate developers, would put less land into parking and more into
      buildings, increasing the supply of office space and housing.

      Where communities are still being laid out, streets can be
      narrow, eliminating on-street parking. Olympia plans to build
      residential streets as skinny as 13 feet in one fast-growing
      neighborhood - one-third the conventional width and a national record
      - while Missoula, Montana, Eugene, Oregon; and Kirkland, Washington,
      have pinched some streets down to 20 or 24 feet.

      These changes also work for existing developments. With no
      parking requirements, the owners of buildings now surrounded by
      concrete have new choices: they can expand, sell land to others, or
      turn parking into plazas.

      It might take 10 years to absorb excess parking space, but
      scarcity - and a market - would develop. Free parking would dwindle as
      higher-value uses take over space currently devoted to car storage.
      And, as those who choose to drive begin to face the full costs of
      their decisions, driving would abate.

      Finally, the United States could eliminate inequitable tax
      provisions that favor driving over other transportation. At present,
      taxes encourage employers to supply free parking by treating it as a
      nontaxable fringe benefit. Employers may give employees parking worth
      $175 a month as an untaxed fringe benefit - equivalent to pretax
      income exceeding $2,500 a year.

      "Cashing out" employer-paid parking would further dampen
      driving. A full-fledged cash-out policy requires that employers who
      give workers a free parking space also let them choose to receive
      instead the parking's dollar value in cash. Tests of this policy in
      Los Angeles show that as many as two in five commuters take the money
      and leave their wheels at home. In greater Seattle, the federal
      government is supporting efforts by local governments to encourage
      businesses to offer this cash-out.

      President Bush could, by shepherding a full-fledged
      cash-out provision into federal law, save more oil than we're likely
      to find in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge or off the coast of his
      brother's home state. If tens of millions of workers across the
      country left their cars at home and tacked an extra $2,500 onto their
      paychecks it would save 2.5 million barrels of oil a day or more than
      twice what the Department of Energy estimates we can recover from the
      Alaska refuge. Subjecting parking to the free market so revered by the
      president and his advisors can render new supplies of oil nearly
      irrelevant-and safeguard the livability of so many communities.

      Alan Durning is executive director of the Seattle-based research
      center Northwest Environment Watch (www.northwestwatch.org),
      publisher of This Place on Earth 2001: Guide to a Sustainable
      Northwest. He can be reached at Alan@....