RE: [carfree_cities] Speeding records... let's take it to the limit!

  • Louis-Luc
    Message 1 of 37 , Jul 23, 2001
      > I agree with you completely. Being only 16 and living with
      > my parents, I
      > rarely walk or bike places simply because I live in a car
      > dependent town. Next
      > school year I am praying that I will be able to bike to school if
      > a bike path link
      > is built between my school and Tammany Trace, the main bike path
      > that runs though
      > my the parish and is close to my house (Our parish president has
      > promised me that
      > it will be completed but school is less than a month away and I
      > have yet to see any
      > progress). I think everybody would be more healthy if they lived
      > in a carfree city
      > not only because you would get exercise from walking, but you
      > would be healthier
      > because you would not be forced to breath in the emissions of cars.
      Yes, I agree too. Have you asked your council to make the regular roads
      safer for biking (if it isn't already ok), so that cyclists are not forced
      (or encourageed) to rely only on bike paths? (while continuing your quest to
      complete the bike path). Tell them your only way of tranportation is bike,
      and you require to have at least one route possible. Behave like the "broken
      vinyl disc", i.e. repeating them bike is your only way to get around and you
      do not want to rely on the car, until they actually do the necessary to
      satisfaction.

      > On a side note... walking or exercising can be extremely
      > unpleasant here in the
      > south (near New Orleans) during the summer months because of the
      > extreme heat. I
      > my small town which claims to have a 50% shade coverage it is
      > much cooler than the
      > neighboring town which has very little trees. I have found that
      > the only thing I
      > can do to get exercise is to swim daily in the artesian pool in
      > my back yard. So
      > hopefully the ideal carfree city should be well landscaped with many trees
      > providing shade cover.
      > --Andrew

      Yup. Trees are needed for humans to live comfortably in hot regions,
      therefore the need to tear down parking lots and highways, to plant trees.
      Trees give oxygen and freshness, cars remove oxygen and freshness.

      Good Luck
      Keep us informed of any success, we'll pray for you as well.

      Louis-Luc
    • Boileau,Pierre [NCR]
      Message 37 of 37 , Oct 1, 2001
        Hi Chris,

        Again, sorry for the late response.

        Could you point me to some of the references on in-car-air-quality?

        I've been working closely with a number of auto design engineers who deal
        with climate control systems (heating, ventilation and air conditioning).
        They pay very close attention to the inside air quality of their designs and
        must meet their company standards for minimising build-up of pollutants
        inside the car (unfortunately, I don't know of any government standard in
        this area).

        It would be interesting to see if the engineering standards actually 'do'
        what they are supposed to do.

        Many thanks

        Pierre.

        P.S. Unfortunately, these designers haven't put a proposal through for the
        'spike in the steering wheel', nor the 'exhaust venting through the
        passenger compartment'.