Pittsburgh

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2001
      =v= Horses? Guinness? That is *not* the Pittsburgh I grew
      up in, which hinged on dilapidated American cars and Iron City
      beer. I feel cheated.

      =v= Pittsburgh was the scene of a great epiphany for me, though.
      During my childhood, the city was was famous for industrial air
      pollution. The air was filthy, and everyone blamed the steel
      mills.

      =v= And then the parking lot attendants went on strike. This
      meant that nobody could commute downtown by car. The skies
      cleared up quite a bit, and for the first time in my life, the
      air quality was reported as "acceptable."

      >> In terms of transportation, we've been calling for a return
      >> to PLAIN OLD "HEAVY RAIL" -- train service. We have lots of
      >> tracks. We have some "new trails too."

      =v= My main problem in Pittsburgh is that transit innovation is
      exclusively for people on the South Side. On the North Side,
      we got highways paved with incinerated toxic waste, a bunch of
      really stupid stadiums, and an occasional bus or two.

      =v= The old rails are still there somewhere, though, buried
      under the asphalt.
      <_Jym_>