Urban horses?

  • Simon Baddeley
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 6 12:25 PM
      For further arguments against see:

      http://www.unimelb.edu.au/infoserv/urban/hma/hurban/1997q4/0017.html

      Let's see the worst news first! (:-))

      Simon
    • Simon Baddeley
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 6 12:38 PM
        My my. There really could be something in this, couldn't there?

        http://www.iol.ie/EMPLOYMENT/integra/2projectdot.html

        Simon
      • Simon Baddeley
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 7 9:36 AM
          Dear Mark

          I was in Pittsburgh many years ago. I was a research student at the
          University of Pennsylvania helping with a project for Anheuser-Busch
          examining the spread of Guinness drinking in the US population. We visited
          Pittsburgh because there was - with the mining - a population for whom that
          stout was a drink of preference. That too is history. The beer drinking
          preferences of the US crossed the Atlantic to make great inroads into the
          warm beer culture.

          Do you follow carfree cities? I would like to see if anyone else there is
          interested in urban horses. Much revolves around how these issues are
          presented. It can be too easy to consign what most of us see as solutions
          for the future to a wish to revert to a golden age that never was. "Bringing
          back horses" could be seen as a bit like "bringing back canals". Both ideas
          are good and the latter is being taken seriously here. It may be a question
          of finding a form of words that evades the casual and easy mockery that gets
          applied to novelty.

          I think a vet college is vital; part of the infrastructure for horse
          transport.

          I applaud the focus on heavy rail.

          As I have said elsewhere, ideas may come from all over but it will be
          America that they will be powerfully realised.

          Regards

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 7 10:14 AM
            It's all about a political critical mass of opinion and having ideas ready
            at the right moment and knowing where to insert the political lever.

            I began these thoughts hoping to find somewhere where horses were being
            given serious attention as urban transport for people and goods. As it is I
            find them performing a sort of social service in Dublin - rather attractive
            and providing a rung into employment in the equine industry.

            I have uncovered rather more ways to understand this issue than I knew about
            a few days ago. The leisure route which you could be championing sounds
            especially promising. I suppose the other is through marketing - where a
            particular product gets a name for being transported round town in a horse
            and car. There is also a market for horse drawn hearses and for weddings
            here and I suspect the same applies in the USA.

            A big push could from an energy panic.

            That apart are we witnessing last gasp attempts to keep horses in the city
            or are there possibilities for increased use. Our West Midlands Police Force
            was forced to abandon its horses 18 months ago. I shall continue web surfing
            on this.

            Best wishes

            Simon

            Simon Baddeley