Re: Please keep me posted on the horse progress -- thanks

  • Simon Baddeley
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2001
      Dear Mark

      "There are advantages in introducing horses beside utility and economy.
      There is the question of civic cheerfulness. Nothing is quite so agreeable
      to the eye as a pair of large horses and a cart, their amiability in sharp
      distinction to the menace and aggression of the motor car. Their hooves make
      a cheerful rhythmical clatter, and the iron shod wheels of the cart grate
      with a continuous burr upon the carriageway like the drone of a bagpipe.
      They elicit smiles from adults and waves from the children." (David Welch
      quoted in "History with a Future: Harnessing the Heavy horse for the 21st
      Century"(1988) compiled and edited by Keith Chivers MA, Shire Horse Society
      with the support of the Royal Agricultural Society (RASE))

      David Welch must have been someone special. I wish I could have met him.

      As someone fascinated by the possibilities of alternatives to the car as a
      means of getting around - especially in cities, I was saddened but not
      surprised to hear that David Welch's championing of shire horses in the City
      of Aberdeen was history. But then trams were in a similar position.

      I suspect there is a skill problem relating to horse care, though with the
      recreational equitation of the outer suburbs and shires there can be little
      shortage of interest in horses. It's just that the whole business of knowing
      how to harness horses for city life and how to tend them in an urban
      environment has become scarce and they are too widely assumed to be a luxury
      leisure pursuit.

      Who other than the police knows about urban use of horses. The cavalry
      riders that decorate London parades?

      If there is any example of a city that uses horses for serious transport I'd
      like to know. I suspect this is a form of transport at its lowest ebb in the
      first world and fast disappearing elsewhere. If it isn't I'd like to know
      and study the phenomenon.

      Best wishes

      Simon

      Simon Baddeley