Re: For those in California.

  • Guy Berliner
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2001
      I didn't even know such people existed -- fanatic
      eulogists for Southern California freeways!?? I
      thought for sure they must be some kind of industry
      front group. Wow! Thanks. It's always good to keep
      abreast of what the enemy's up to. I found the
      following quote from http://www.fixtraffic.org/mission.html
      amusing:

      "The Friends of Southern California's Highways, a Community
      Grass-Roots Organization..."

      It wasn't enough for them to be just grass-roots, or just
      community based, no, they are BOTH, in Capital Letters! Methinks
      the lady doth protest too much...
    • Ronald Dawson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2001
        Guy Berliner wrote:
        >I didn't even know such people existed -- fanatic
        >eulogists for Southern California freeways!?? I
        >thought for sure they must be some kind of industry
        >front group. Wow! Thanks. It's always good to keep
        >abreast of what the enemy's up to. I found the
        >following quote from http://www.fixtraffic.org/mission.html
        >amusing:
        >
        >"The Friends of Southern California's Highways, a Community
        >Grass-Roots Organization..."
        >
        >It wasn't enough for them to be just grass-roots, or just
        >community based, no, they are BOTH, in Capital Letters! Methinks
        >the lady doth protest too much...

        I know what your getting after, in other words follow the money trail.

        Although one thing that has always struck me as odd about "organizations"
        such as this, is that they seem to keep saying "build our way out of
        congestion".
        O.K. it is theoretically possible to do that, a try to stay ahead of the
        pack mentality, but when I look at it, some thing doesn't really add up.

        I remember seeing some thing a while ago about Seattle's road network, it
        said 50% of the traffic uses the interstates which consist of 4% of the road
        network and 15% of the traffic uses arterial streets which make up 8% of the
        road network.

        So that means 65% of the traffic is using 12% of the local road network,
        while 35% is using the other 88% of the road network. Now unless that 88%
        consists of dead end streets, just what is going on here?

        It's like two people trying to sit on the same toilet, at the same time.
        While there's an other perfectly good toilet available next door, but no
        one's brave enough to pull up their pants and go on to the neighbouring
        stall. So instead they complain and think about how to make the toilet that
        they're trying to sit on bigger. Dawson
      • James Rombough
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2001
          --- Ronald Dawson <rdadddmd@...> wrote:
          > I remember seeing some thing a while ago about
          > Seattle's road network, it
          > said 50% of the traffic uses the interstates which
          > consist of 4% of the road
          > network and 15% of the traffic uses arterial streets
          > which make up 8% of the
          > road network.
          >
          > So that means 65% of the traffic is using 12% of the
          > local road network,
          > while 35% is using the other 88% of the road
          > network. Now unless that 88%
          > consists of dead end streets, just what is going on
          > here?

          Most of that 88% is residential streets. Surely you
          don't advocate drivers using residential streets
          instead of highways or arterials?

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • Ronald Dawson
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2001
            James Rombough wrote:
            >Most of that 88% is residential streets. Surely you
            >don't advocate drivers using residential streets
            >instead of highways or arterials?

            They can handle some extra traffic. Dawson