RE: [carfree_cities] Advertisements in mass transit

  • 3L
    Message 1 of 37 , Jun 9, 2001

      Agree.

      What I dislike the most is car ads in transit. The most ridiculous ones
      I've seen are those GM car ads on the floor from Sept to Oct. 1999 (IIRC).
      When travelling in the station, I would avoid people path or aim my way to
      walk right on (not pass beside and look at it). If I needed to wait for
      someone, or lining up at ticket booth, I was standing right on it, sweeping
      my feet or putting my shopping bags on it. GM builds our Rigaud-Montreal
      1800 HP (and the new 3000 HPs as well?) locomotives, why don't they post a
      loco ad instead? It'd be odd, and incitative as well... Hmmm, do GM build
      buses as well? I believe so, at least for the older "New Look"s.

      Car ads invade too many of our neon-paneled posting units (in metro stations
      as well), and what about the SAAQ (Quebec Auto association) saying to
      innocent people "Pedestrians, don't walk in the street or your life may end
      there". That's outrageous. Do they ask drivers to watch for pedestrians?
      Especially where peds have right-of-way? At least I hope so, but I don't use
      the highway often enough to tell. The moral is we don't want to drive for
      others to save our lives, we deserve the minimum level of respect from our
      fellow driver, assuming they're still humans.

      Louis-Luc
    • Boileau,Pierre [NCR]
      Message 37 of 37 , Oct 1, 2001
        Hi Chris,

        Again, sorry for the late response.

        Could you point me to some of the references on in-car-air-quality?

        I've been working closely with a number of auto design engineers who deal
        with climate control systems (heating, ventilation and air conditioning).
        They pay very close attention to the inside air quality of their designs and
        must meet their company standards for minimising build-up of pollutants
        inside the car (unfortunately, I don't know of any government standard in
        this area).

        It would be interesting to see if the engineering standards actually 'do'
        what they are supposed to do.

        Many thanks

        Pierre.

        P.S. Unfortunately, these designers haven't put a proposal through for the
        'spike in the steering wheel', nor the 'exhaust venting through the
        passenger compartment'.