Re: driving: fun vs not & other rants

  • mdh6214@garnet.fsu.edu
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2001
      Actually, that's an excellent comparision. Some people want nothing
      do with alcohol, and some peopke want to exercise the RESPONSIBLE use
      of alcohol for personal enjoyment. So can we compare road-ragers to
      alcoholics? Someone who doesn't know how to handle (a car | alcohol)
      and causes problems with it?

      I've also heard cars compared to guns: if you are trained, mentally
      stable, and restrict its use to rural areas, there will be very few
      problem exhibited with it. What happens is that licensing is too lax,
      and everyone feels like they HAVE to have one, and a lot of people
      have
      them without really knowing how to properly and safely use them.

      The state of (crime | mass transit) in many cities is so deplorable
      that people feel compelled to have one because of a lack of reasons
      not have them (police | mass transit).

      > >I'm not against cars--I'm against their inappropriate use. Any
      input
      > >welcome.
      >
      > I say the same in regards to the use of alcohol. Dawson
    • 3L
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 4, 2001
        > > >I'm not against cars--I'm against their inappropriate use. Any
        > input
        > > >welcome.
        > >
        > > I say the same in regards to the use of alcohol. Dawson

        Cars may also be compared to cigarettes. Most non-smokers mind about their
        health and life quality if they are constantly exposed to smoke from smokers
        in public. Same with cars. except they can potentially kill or hurt much
        more quickly and much more severely than ten years of living with a smoker
        in the same home. Again this weekend, a cyclist has been hit by a fuckin'
        (pardon this word in public) drunk drive, and that jerky escaped. Imagine
        this driver at the same place at the commands of a bicycle or on foot. I'm
        sure he would swerve all over the road, zigzag or hit poles (take extreme
        drunk), but if he happens to hit a cyclist, or even a child, both parties
        would just stand up with at most light injuries and continue each other's
        way.

        Governments made a good job to regulate the usage of tobacco in public, even
        in some cities it is not allowed to smoke in some outdoor streets! Still
        smokers can continue to smoke at home, or in smoking rooms, in places just
        for them, where they feel they don't disturb the public. Why can't we ask
        the same to regulate something much more harmful to the life quality? When
        governments are going to understand some people just want to live in some
        carfree place where one can move around without the hassle of any car
        traffic in any of his casual displacement. I know it's possible eliminate
        cars from significant areas to enhance life quality, and keep other places
        as is so other people can continue to use cars.

        This week-end is the Grand Prix of Canada on Notre-Dame Island. A great
        number of people will watch car racing at ligntning speeds. This is great,
        racers have their road to show what they can do, and we carfree people need
        our peaceful road to get to see them.

        Louis-Luc
      • Ronald Dawson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 4, 2001
          Matt wrote:
          >Actually, that's an excellent comparision. Some people want nothing
          >do with alcohol, and some people want to exercise the RESPONSIBLE use
          >of alcohol for personal enjoyment. So can we compare road-ragers to
          >alcoholics? Someone who doesn't know how to handle (a car | alcohol)
          >and causes problems with it?

          Quite so, drunk driving is another related problem. Dawson