Cycle Technique

  • Canal1@qwest.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2001
      using toe straps or shoes with clips that attach to the pedals (I
      prefer toe straps; I want the utility of regular shoes since I bike
      for normal transportation; by the way using toe straps is no problem
      in traffic or for short distance), push down with one foot and pull
      up with the other. If you just push down and do not pull up, then
      the foot on the up stroke will be "riding up" creating resistance.
      Therefore, when just pushing down, you have only the power of one
      foot less the resistance of the other. However, by pushing and
      pulling at the same time, you have the power of both feet, and no
      resistance. Proper form, which takes practice over time, is to have
      the legs going up and down smoothly,like pistons attached to the
      cranks of a crank shaft. Thus you lose that disjointed action
      typical of only pushing down with one foot. As in all activities,
      proper form makes for enjoyment and allows you to get the most out of
      the activity. In this case you gain speed, strength, and endurance.
      That inspires confidence, of which you need plenty to be an urban
      biker.

      John Crosby
      Seattle

      I'm confused. I thought biking required feet to alternate pushing
      down, circling around, pushing down again. How do you cycle without
      doing this? Biking is unending, painful work - if you're not
      aerobically used to it. It just takes time, as does any exercise.
      I've only seen bikers who ride for distances, mostly uninterupted by
      traffic, using toe clips. Wouldn't it be difficult to travel to work
      or school, constantly stopping, yielding, etc. with toe clips? I
      would say bike education for the public is needed - myself included -
      but biking is exercise, which requires effort, and should not be
      categorized into who-can-do-it-best status slots. If the effort is
      made and maintained, the traveling becomes less work, more enjoyment.

      Lennie Dusek
    • Eric_Floden@pch.gc.ca
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2001
        I agree with the PS below, I see far too many folk spinning too slowly, which
        will not enhance their enjoyment of cycling & may give them sore knees.

        My other frequently-seen cycling boo-boo is having the seat far too low - that
        can't be easy on theknees, nor does it deliever optimal power

        What is a heinzmann pedal assist?

        ef
        Vancouver

        -----------------

        ps. It should also be added that most people choose much too high a gear and
        end up with a cadence (peddling speed) much lower then it should be.

        Henning
        (I cheat, I have a heinzmann peddle assist - It's too cool)
      • Henning Mortensen
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2001
          And I thought proper technique was to provide power in all 360 degress of
          the crank. Indeed you can exert more power on the up and down, but you
          should also be peddling forward and back. In other words, you should peddle
          with a circular stroke rather then down-down or even up-down.

          just my .02