RE: [carfree_cities] Boost in transit linked to bridge-toll success

  • 3L
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2001
      A good way is to put a toll for motorists on existing bridges (and to be
      fair
      with the rest of motorists, a toll on all Mtl major roads). This money is
      essentially used to finance transit improvements and maintenance, and to
      improve the quality of existing roads. Then motorists who choose to pay more
      to keep using their car have better roads, and the rest of the people get
      better transit, the environment gets better too.

      Where can Montrealers and suburbanites express their opposition to adding
      more bridges and roads to reducing Mtl life quality?

      Louis-Luc

      > Getting off and on the island. Dawson
      > http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/pages/010602/5098671.html
      >
      > Saturday 2 June 2001
      >
      > Boost in transit linked to bridge-toll success
      >
      > DAVID JOHNSTON
      > The Gazette

    • Ronald Dawson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2001
        Louis-Luc wrote:
        >> http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/pages/010602/5098671.html
        >A good way is to put a toll for motorists on existing bridges (and to be
        >fair with the rest of motorists, a toll on all Mtl major roads).

        I think that's a great idea, though I've been in favour of tolls on
        autoroutes for a while. Do you think 15 cents a kilometer charge would be
        fair?

        >This money is
        >essentially used to finance transit improvements and maintenance, and to
        >improve the quality of existing roads. Then motorists who choose to pay
        more
        >to keep using their car have better roads, and the rest of the people get
        >better transit, the environment gets better too.

        People who need to drive would have less traffic to deal with and others
        would have improved transit service.

        >Where can Montrealers and suburbanites express their opposition to adding
        >more bridges and roads to reducing Mtl life quality?

        Unfortunately there really isn't any place, but I know what you mean.
        One project that particularly worries me is the proposed extension of A-30,
        that would create a by pass of the island of Montreal. We only have to look
        at our neighbours south of the boarder (no offence) to see what kind mess
        this has done to their cities. Dawson