Re: [carfree_cities] Municipal Political Structures

  • duane cuthbertson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 2, 2001
      After reading the posts about regional governments, I probably should have
      added with my link to the Dallas Area Rapid Transit that it is a great
      example of regional effort, with 13 or more cities participating in it's
      funding. Here's the link again.

      http://www.dart.org/annualreport2000.htm

      DC
    • James Rombough
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 4, 2001
        --- duane cuthbertson <dcuthber@...> wrote:
        > After reading the posts about regional governments,
        > I probably should have
        > added with my link to the Dallas Area Rapid Transit
        > that it is a great
        > example of regional effort, with 13 or more cities
        > participating in it's
        > funding. Here's the link again.
        >
        > http://www.dart.org/annualreport2000.htm
        >
        > DC

        DART is a terrible example of regional effort! A lot
        of people don't like DART, but I think they are doing
        the best they can. The problem is that Dallas and Ft.
        Worth have been "at war" for decades. Ft. Worth,
        Arlington (actually, all of Tarrant County) and Grand
        Prarie in Dallas County are *not* members of DART.
        That makes DART more like a county-level organization,
        not a regional organization.

        Ft. Worth and a few of its suburbs run a public
        transit agency, the T. Arlington, a "city" of 270,000
        people, is not a member of the T. As a result,
        Arlington is the largest city in the USA with no mass
        transit at all (the Handi-ride program doesn't count
        as "public" transit). Arlington residents are against
        city buses because they are afraid of minorities (I've
        translated what they actually say) moving in. Never
        mind that there are minorities already living there!

        I used to live in Arlington and Dallas, and I know
        many people there, and that is exactly how they think!
        Pretty sad!

        For anyone interested in aviation, another casualty in
        the Dallas vs. Ft. Worth "war" is DFW airport, Love
        Field and the Wright amendment. The federal
        government had to force them to cooperate and build an
        airport, or the Feds would do it for them.

        A few years ago DART and the T got together and
        created the Trinity Railway Express. Eventually it
        will continue all the way to downtown Ft. Worth (now
        about 2/3 of the way from Dallas to Ft. Worth), but it
        doesn't go through Arlington, which would be the most
        direct route.

        a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Ronald Dawson
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 4, 2001
          James Rombough wrote:
          >DART is a terrible example of regional effort! A lot
          >of people don't like DART, but I think they are doing
          >the best they can. The problem is that Dallas and Ft.
          >Worth have been "at war" for decades. Ft. Worth,
          >Arlington (actually, all of Tarrant County) and Grand
          >Prarie in Dallas County are *not* members of DART.
          >That makes DART more like a county-level organization,
          >not a regional organization.

          I wonder why they want to "not" operate like that?

          >Ft. Worth and a few of its suburbs run a public
          >transit agency, the T. Arlington, a "city" of 270,000
          >people, is not a member of the T. As a result,
          >Arlington is the largest city in the USA with no mass
          >transit at all (the Handi-ride program doesn't count
          >as "public" transit). Arlington residents are against
          >city buses because they are afraid of minorities (I've
          >translated what they actually say) moving in. Never
          >mind that there are minorities already living there!

          It might also be a taxation thing?

          >I used to live in Arlington and Dallas, and I know
          >many people there, and that is exactly how they think!
          > Pretty sad!

          Paranoid?

          >For anyone interested in aviation, another casualty in
          >the Dallas vs. Ft. Worth "war" is DFW airport, Love
          >Field and the Wright amendment. The federal
          >government had to force them to cooperate and build an
          >airport, or the Feds would do it for them.

          That kind of reminds me of the Mirabel airport (YMX) north of Montreal.

          >A few years ago DART and the T got together and
          >created the Trinity Railway Express. Eventually it
          >will continue all the way to downtown Ft. Worth (now
          >about 2/3 of the way from Dallas to Ft. Worth), but it
          >doesn't go through Arlington, which would be the most
          >direct route.

          Your right about the distance, through Arlington it's about 31 miles, but
          through Irving it's about 34 miles. Plus I wonder what kind of service they
          will provide when the whole thing is up and running?
          I just hope they keep those nice Budd RDC's active for a long time to come.
          http://www.trains.com/content/dynamic/articles/000/000/001/001oetky.asp
          Dawson