RE: [carfree_cities] Municipal Political Structures

  • Boileau,Pierre [NCR]
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2001
      Hi T.J.

      Yet, in Canada, municipalities are under provincial jurisdiction and as such
      may have limited powers, and certainly funding, to conduct many of the
      changes you mention below. A jurisdictionally-specific solution would be
      necessary to make the carfree model work.

      Cheers

      Pierre.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2001
        The message seems to be hitting many avenues in the US but can we get some
        action. Here is another article for you to enjoy or get frustrated at:

        http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2001/03/0329_cars.html

        Just in case you were wondering how the city of Dallas is doing in their
        quest to cover the metro in Light rail lines, here is there annual report
        for 2000. It's interesting to me since I will more than likely be moving
        there soon. A friend of mine and I concluded that in it's present state one
        could live car free in Dallas on the rail line and have access to most all
        necessities.

        www.dart.org/annualreport2000.htm

        DC
      • duane cuthbertson
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2001
          After reading the posts about regional governments, I probably should have
          added with my link to the Dallas Area Rapid Transit that it is a great
          example of regional effort, with 13 or more cities participating in it's
          funding. Here's the link again.

          http://www.dart.org/annualreport2000.htm

          DC
        • James Rombough
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 4, 2001
            --- duane cuthbertson <dcuthber@...> wrote:
            > After reading the posts about regional governments,
            > I probably should have
            > added with my link to the Dallas Area Rapid Transit
            > that it is a great
            > example of regional effort, with 13 or more cities
            > participating in it's
            > funding. Here's the link again.
            >
            > http://www.dart.org/annualreport2000.htm
            >
            > DC

            DART is a terrible example of regional effort! A lot
            of people don't like DART, but I think they are doing
            the best they can. The problem is that Dallas and Ft.
            Worth have been "at war" for decades. Ft. Worth,
            Arlington (actually, all of Tarrant County) and Grand
            Prarie in Dallas County are *not* members of DART.
            That makes DART more like a county-level organization,
            not a regional organization.

            Ft. Worth and a few of its suburbs run a public
            transit agency, the T. Arlington, a "city" of 270,000
            people, is not a member of the T. As a result,
            Arlington is the largest city in the USA with no mass
            transit at all (the Handi-ride program doesn't count
            as "public" transit). Arlington residents are against
            city buses because they are afraid of minorities (I've
            translated what they actually say) moving in. Never
            mind that there are minorities already living there!

            I used to live in Arlington and Dallas, and I know
            many people there, and that is exactly how they think!
            Pretty sad!

            For anyone interested in aviation, another casualty in
            the Dallas vs. Ft. Worth "war" is DFW airport, Love
            Field and the Wright amendment. The federal
            government had to force them to cooperate and build an
            airport, or the Feds would do it for them.

            A few years ago DART and the T got together and
            created the Trinity Railway Express. Eventually it
            will continue all the way to downtown Ft. Worth (now
            about 2/3 of the way from Dallas to Ft. Worth), but it
            doesn't go through Arlington, which would be the most
            direct route.

            a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
          • Ronald Dawson
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 4, 2001
              James Rombough wrote:
              >DART is a terrible example of regional effort! A lot
              >of people don't like DART, but I think they are doing
              >the best they can. The problem is that Dallas and Ft.
              >Worth have been "at war" for decades. Ft. Worth,
              >Arlington (actually, all of Tarrant County) and Grand
              >Prarie in Dallas County are *not* members of DART.
              >That makes DART more like a county-level organization,
              >not a regional organization.

              I wonder why they want to "not" operate like that?

              >Ft. Worth and a few of its suburbs run a public
              >transit agency, the T. Arlington, a "city" of 270,000
              >people, is not a member of the T. As a result,
              >Arlington is the largest city in the USA with no mass
              >transit at all (the Handi-ride program doesn't count
              >as "public" transit). Arlington residents are against
              >city buses because they are afraid of minorities (I've
              >translated what they actually say) moving in. Never
              >mind that there are minorities already living there!

              It might also be a taxation thing?

              >I used to live in Arlington and Dallas, and I know
              >many people there, and that is exactly how they think!
              > Pretty sad!

              Paranoid?

              >For anyone interested in aviation, another casualty in
              >the Dallas vs. Ft. Worth "war" is DFW airport, Love
              >Field and the Wright amendment. The federal
              >government had to force them to cooperate and build an
              >airport, or the Feds would do it for them.

              That kind of reminds me of the Mirabel airport (YMX) north of Montreal.

              >A few years ago DART and the T got together and
              >created the Trinity Railway Express. Eventually it
              >will continue all the way to downtown Ft. Worth (now
              >about 2/3 of the way from Dallas to Ft. Worth), but it
              >doesn't go through Arlington, which would be the most
              >direct route.

              Your right about the distance, through Arlington it's about 31 miles, but
              through Irving it's about 34 miles. Plus I wonder what kind of service they
              will provide when the whole thing is up and running?
              I just hope they keep those nice Budd RDC's active for a long time to come.
              http://www.trains.com/content/dynamic/articles/000/000/001/001oetky.asp
              Dawson