Re: Municipal Political Structures

  • Mike Lacey
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2001
      --- In carfree_cities@y..., "T. J. wrote:
      > A certain amount of tax-sharing between neighboring cities, for
      example,
      > would help generate revenue to make public transit improvements.

      Regional tax sharing could have another major benefit. It might break
      the trend for each burb-city to create its own edge-of-town-mega-mall
      complex in order to attract those much sought after tax dollars, and
      instead encourage more centralised regional shopping centres, which
      in turn lessens the incentive for sprawl development and the
      associated auto-lifestyle.

      Anyone who knows Orange County, CA (unofficial slogan - "A Macy*s in
      every city") will know what I mean

      Mike
    • Boileau,Pierre [NCR]
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2001
        Hi T.J.

        Yet, in Canada, municipalities are under provincial jurisdiction and as such
        may have limited powers, and certainly funding, to conduct many of the
        changes you mention below. A jurisdictionally-specific solution would be
        necessary to make the carfree model work.

        Cheers

        Pierre.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2001
          The message seems to be hitting many avenues in the US but can we get some
          action. Here is another article for you to enjoy or get frustrated at:

          http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2001/03/0329_cars.html

          Just in case you were wondering how the city of Dallas is doing in their
          quest to cover the metro in Light rail lines, here is there annual report
          for 2000. It's interesting to me since I will more than likely be moving
          there soon. A friend of mine and I concluded that in it's present state one
          could live car free in Dallas on the rail line and have access to most all
          necessities.

          www.dart.org/annualreport2000.htm

          DC
        • duane cuthbertson
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2001
            After reading the posts about regional governments, I probably should have
            added with my link to the Dallas Area Rapid Transit that it is a great
            example of regional effort, with 13 or more cities participating in it's
            funding. Here's the link again.

            http://www.dart.org/annualreport2000.htm

            DC
          • James Rombough
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 4, 2001
              --- duane cuthbertson <dcuthber@...> wrote:
              > After reading the posts about regional governments,
              > I probably should have
              > added with my link to the Dallas Area Rapid Transit
              > that it is a great
              > example of regional effort, with 13 or more cities
              > participating in it's
              > funding. Here's the link again.
              >
              > http://www.dart.org/annualreport2000.htm
              >
              > DC

              DART is a terrible example of regional effort! A lot
              of people don't like DART, but I think they are doing
              the best they can. The problem is that Dallas and Ft.
              Worth have been "at war" for decades. Ft. Worth,
              Arlington (actually, all of Tarrant County) and Grand
              Prarie in Dallas County are *not* members of DART.
              That makes DART more like a county-level organization,
              not a regional organization.

              Ft. Worth and a few of its suburbs run a public
              transit agency, the T. Arlington, a "city" of 270,000
              people, is not a member of the T. As a result,
              Arlington is the largest city in the USA with no mass
              transit at all (the Handi-ride program doesn't count
              as "public" transit). Arlington residents are against
              city buses because they are afraid of minorities (I've
              translated what they actually say) moving in. Never
              mind that there are minorities already living there!

              I used to live in Arlington and Dallas, and I know
              many people there, and that is exactly how they think!
              Pretty sad!

              For anyone interested in aviation, another casualty in
              the Dallas vs. Ft. Worth "war" is DFW airport, Love
              Field and the Wright amendment. The federal
              government had to force them to cooperate and build an
              airport, or the Feds would do it for them.

              A few years ago DART and the T got together and
              created the Trinity Railway Express. Eventually it
              will continue all the way to downtown Ft. Worth (now
              about 2/3 of the way from Dallas to Ft. Worth), but it
              doesn't go through Arlington, which would be the most
              direct route.

              a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
            • Ronald Dawson
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 4, 2001
                James Rombough wrote:
                >DART is a terrible example of regional effort! A lot
                >of people don't like DART, but I think they are doing
                >the best they can. The problem is that Dallas and Ft.
                >Worth have been "at war" for decades. Ft. Worth,
                >Arlington (actually, all of Tarrant County) and Grand
                >Prarie in Dallas County are *not* members of DART.
                >That makes DART more like a county-level organization,
                >not a regional organization.

                I wonder why they want to "not" operate like that?

                >Ft. Worth and a few of its suburbs run a public
                >transit agency, the T. Arlington, a "city" of 270,000
                >people, is not a member of the T. As a result,
                >Arlington is the largest city in the USA with no mass
                >transit at all (the Handi-ride program doesn't count
                >as "public" transit). Arlington residents are against
                >city buses because they are afraid of minorities (I've
                >translated what they actually say) moving in. Never
                >mind that there are minorities already living there!

                It might also be a taxation thing?

                >I used to live in Arlington and Dallas, and I know
                >many people there, and that is exactly how they think!
                > Pretty sad!

                Paranoid?

                >For anyone interested in aviation, another casualty in
                >the Dallas vs. Ft. Worth "war" is DFW airport, Love
                >Field and the Wright amendment. The federal
                >government had to force them to cooperate and build an
                >airport, or the Feds would do it for them.

                That kind of reminds me of the Mirabel airport (YMX) north of Montreal.

                >A few years ago DART and the T got together and
                >created the Trinity Railway Express. Eventually it
                >will continue all the way to downtown Ft. Worth (now
                >about 2/3 of the way from Dallas to Ft. Worth), but it
                >doesn't go through Arlington, which would be the most
                >direct route.

                Your right about the distance, through Arlington it's about 31 miles, but
                through Irving it's about 34 miles. Plus I wonder what kind of service they
                will provide when the whole thing is up and running?
                I just hope they keep those nice Budd RDC's active for a long time to come.
                http://www.trains.com/content/dynamic/articles/000/000/001/001oetky.asp
                Dawson