RE: [carfree_cities] Urban Growth Boundary vs City Limits

  • Boileau,Pierre [NCR]
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2001
      Hi Ryan,

      Doesn't amalgamation provide justification for growing smaller
      municipalities outside the new city so that they eventually become big
      enough to join the 'mother ship'? We had this debate around a proposal to
      develop decentralized wastewater treatment plants for small rural
      municipalities outside large urban centres. If municipal services become
      equivalent in the small rural municipalities, doesn't this provide an
      incentive for growth in those smaller municipalities, which have less crime,
      friendlier neighbours, etc.? Wouldn't this make it more attractive for
      people to move away from the 'congested centre' to the wide open rural
      municipalities?

      Playing devil's advocate, Pierre.