Fw: Hands Across the Sea

  • Simon Baddeley
    Message 1 of 3 , May 28, 2001
      From: Lance K Green <lkgzzz@...>
      To: <Blind.Copy.Receiver@...>
      Sent: Monday, May 28, 2001 8:13 PM
      Subject: Hands Across the Sea

      I have (accidentally) read a bit more of your E mail. You are trying to
      pin pain and suffering on the motorcar. But the car has not increased the
      suffering in the world - far from it. Deaths and injuries in transport
      have not increased with the coming of the car. The assertion that the
      motorcar has brought pain and death with it is just an assertion without
      supporting evidence. The latter is very thin indeed; but in 1842(?) a
      thousand people were killed in transport accidents in London alone.

      Last year about 630,000 people died in the UK, of which just over 3,400
      resulted from road accidents (including, of course, buses, trucks,
      pedestrians, and cyclists). If no cars existed, would you really expect
      the total death toll to fall to 626,600?

      LKG
    • Simon Baddeley
      Message 2 of 3 , May 29, 2001
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3 1:59 PM
          Lance

          We've both made our points and arrived - reasonably honourably - at
          positions neither of us is prepared to abandon. I note the prevalence of the
          past tense in your rebuttals of my argument about the future of the car. You
          have noted weaknesses in my case. Shall we call it a draw in which you came
          a passable second?

          By the way I don't think you'll have to go to exotic foreign places to enjoy
          car culture. I envisage the grand opening of the Jeremy Clarkson Heritage
          Motorway Museum in the not too distant future where car-lovers can gather to
          reminisce about the "good old days". The museum will include a short stretch
          of salvaged motorway on which enthusiasts can experience safe re-enactments
          of grid-lock and multiple pile-ups and a cleverly recreated service area
          with the sounds and smells of passing traffic artfully reproduced and piped
          into the eating area.

          One thing I nearly forgot to mention. The Clarkson Museum is only accessed
          by cycle route or a pedestrian walk from the nearby Toddington Eurostar
          station.

          Best wishes

          Simon