Re: [carfree_cities] Proud to be an American?

    Message 1 of 5 , May 10, 2001
      >"That's a big no. The president believes that it's an American way
      >of life, and that it should be the goal of policy-makers to protect the
      >American way of life. The American way of life is a blessed one."

      I thought the use of "blessed" gave it a strong note of religious zeal.
      Read the quote again. Makes me shiver on a warm afternoon.

      -- ### --

      J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
      postmaster@... Carfree.com
    • Simon Baddeley
      Message 2 of 5 , May 10, 2001
        An aside, Craig.

        I don't dislike language that echoes or even copies the language of the
        Bible or other religious works. I think one can talk of the city I most
        fervent way and make powerful emotional points for good or ill. In relation
        to Bush and how to address is cage-rattling rhetoric I am reminded of Sir
        Thomas Browne's remark "that many a great city in just possession of the
        truth has been lost through too rashly charging the troops of error."

        We are working on boycotting Esso Service stations here because they have
        withdrawn investment from alternative fuels and concentrated on new methods
        of extraction of fossil fuels and more fuel efficient engines powered by it.

        I don't use petrol station much myself but I hope this boycott will catch on
        even though it's a most partial response and brings more profit to other oil
        companies.

        Best wishes

        Simon