Proud to be an American?

  • Craig Bollen
    Message 1 of 5 , May 10, 2001
      <http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010507/pl/bush_gasoline_dc_4.html>
      Doug,

      Sorry I Can't find the actually transcript anymore. The Q & A took place
      during a press conference in the White house on the 8th I believe. The
      above article has some of what Fleischer said.

      "That's a big no. The president believes that it's an American way
      of life, and that it should be the goal of policy-makers to protect the
      American way of life. The American way of life is a blessed one."

      Quotes like this scare me to death. It feels so Religious. I really hope
      Bush doesn't believe in Revelation. The American way of like could lead us
      there.
      Message 2 of 5 , May 10, 2001
        >"That's a big no. The president believes that it's an American way
        >of life, and that it should be the goal of policy-makers to protect the
        >American way of life. The American way of life is a blessed one."

        I thought the use of "blessed" gave it a strong note of religious zeal.
        Read the quote again. Makes me shiver on a warm afternoon.

        -- ### --

        J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
        postmaster@... Carfree.com
      • Simon Baddeley
        Message 3 of 5 , May 10, 2001
          An aside, Craig.

          I don't dislike language that echoes or even copies the language of the
          Bible or other religious works. I think one can talk of the city I most
          fervent way and make powerful emotional points for good or ill. In relation
          to Bush and how to address is cage-rattling rhetoric I am reminded of Sir
          Thomas Browne's remark "that many a great city in just possession of the
          truth has been lost through too rashly charging the troops of error."

          We are working on boycotting Esso Service stations here because they have
          withdrawn investment from alternative fuels and concentrated on new methods
          of extraction of fossil fuels and more fuel efficient engines powered by it.

          I don't use petrol station much myself but I hope this boycott will catch on
          even though it's a most partial response and brings more profit to other oil
          companies.

          Best wishes

          Simon