Re: [carfree_cities] Laws of cycling chaos

  • Wade Eide
    Message 1 of 3 , May 6, 2001
      On 5 May 2001, at 16:47, Kevin Pfeiffer wrote:

      >(...)
      > No one obeys all the traffic rules. Neither motorist, nor cyclist.
      > Some cyclists, suffering from an excessive amount of "act white and
      > everything will be alright," believe that they they should ride letter
      > perfectly. Me, I take my lessons from motorists; they've taught me
      > rolling stops, running yellow lights, lane splitting (from the
      > motorcyclists) and most important: predictability.

      Nor do I believe that it is necessary to be more Catholic than the
      Pope. However, I think that it's important politically, if not
      practically, for cyclists to remain on the moral high ground. I
      always try to obey the laws at least as well as motorists - or
      better. For example I do stop for red lights, as do motorists.
      (Happily, the exceptions are very rare.) However, I am often on the
      pedals and moving across the heavy white stop line when the light
      changes to green and I try to make as good a rolling stop at stop
      signs as your average motorist. (I should note that there is some
      talk in North America about changing the majority of "stops" to
      "yield", as is the norm in Europe.) I think that enforcement of traffic
      law needs to be enforced better than it is now, especially with
      respect to speed limits.

      Wade Eide, who only speeds in the 40 kmh zone in Westmount
      when he has a wind in his back.
      Montreal