RE: [carfree_cities] Anyone know how Portland & San Francisco got rid of their waterfront freeways?

  • Ronald Dawson
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2001
      Mark Watson wrote:
      >Calling all road fighters! In the spirit of Portland & San Francisco,
      Seattle >may be ready to get rid of a waterfront freeway. Many people,
      including the
      >mayor, want it to come down. Many people think it can be fixed. Highly
      >unlikely. And among those who want to tear it down, some think we need to
      >replace it with a tunnel ($$) through the same unstable, water-logged fill
      dirt >that has caused some of the current problems!

      Given that Seattle's Sound Transit Link project has gotten to the point that
      people want it to become a subway this just might be a way to secure
      funding? http://www.soundtransit.org/

      As far as I know in the USA transit projects are a 50/50 split between the
      Federal and local governments. With highway projects it's like 80% Federal
      20% local government.

      >Among other things, we can
      >highlight Boston's big dig as one reason that a freeway tunnel is not an
      option >as a replacement.

      The big problem in Boston is that the much needed North/South rail link is
      not being built at the same time. Dawson
      http://www.sierraclubmass.org/issues/raillink/railmap.htm