RE: [carfree_cities] Privatization & congestion

  • Ronald Dawson
    Message 1 of 2 , May 5, 2001
      Richard Risemberg sent:
      >A quote:
      >
      >> At issue is a state agreement to allow construction of 10 miles of toll
      lanes >>between the Costa Mesa Freeway in Anaheim and the Riverside-Orange
      County
      >border. The 91 Express Lanes opened in 1995.
      >>
      >> Six years before that, the California Private Transportation Co., a
      company
      >that owns and operates the toll lanes, entered into a franchise agreement
      with >Caltrans that prohibits the state from making freeway improvements
      that might
      >draw motorists away from the toll lanes.
      >>
      >> Corona officials claim that the agreement, which gives the express lane
      >company veto power over widenings, has effectively stopped Caltrans from
      doing >anything to reduce congestion on the Riverside Freeway through
      Corona.

      >And a link:
      >http://www.latimes.com/print/metro/20010504/t000037592.html

      I just hope that the "California Private Transportation Co." pays property
      taxes for the SR-91.
      One idea might be for the city of Corona to start charging motorists for
      access to its streets, that way it can simply charge congestion out of
      existence? Dawson