Re: [carfree_cities] Anyone know how Portland & San Francisco got rid of their waterfront freeways?

  • Doug Salzmann
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2001
      On Friday 04 May 2001 13:57, Mark Watson wrote:
      > Please send info on
      > how to wage a successful campaign. We're looking for any info, but a
      > how-to manual would be great. Analyses of past campaigns, such as
      > Portland & SF, would be very helpful.

      I think you'll prefer the Portland approach.

      If you want to emulate San Francisco's program for doing away with the
      atrocious Embarcadero Freeway, you need to start with an earthquake, much
      more deadly than your recent one, which damages the structure so badly that
      repair is not economically feasible.

      That's how it happened here. The 1989 Loma Prieta quake was the ultimate
      argument against elevated freeways.

      The absence of the freeway is a huge improvement. If we could get rid of
      the cars, also, the Embarcadero would be a really spectacular place.

      -Doug
    • Ronald Dawson
      Message 2 of 3 , May 5, 2001
        Mark Watson wrote:
        >Calling all road fighters! In the spirit of Portland & San Francisco,
        Seattle >may be ready to get rid of a waterfront freeway. Many people,
        including the
        >mayor, want it to come down. Many people think it can be fixed. Highly
        >unlikely. And among those who want to tear it down, some think we need to
        >replace it with a tunnel ($$) through the same unstable, water-logged fill
        dirt >that has caused some of the current problems!

        Given that Seattle's Sound Transit Link project has gotten to the point that
        people want it to become a subway this just might be a way to secure
        funding? http://www.soundtransit.org/

        As far as I know in the USA transit projects are a 50/50 split between the
        Federal and local governments. With highway projects it's like 80% Federal
        20% local government.

        >Among other things, we can
        >highlight Boston's big dig as one reason that a freeway tunnel is not an
        option >as a replacement.

        The big problem in Boston is that the much needed North/South rail link is
        not being built at the same time. Dawson
        http://www.sierraclubmass.org/issues/raillink/railmap.htm