Privatization & congestion

    Message 1 of 2 , May 4, 2001
      A quote:

      > At issue is a state agreement to allow construction of 10 miles of toll lanes between the Costa Mesa Freeway in Anaheim and the Riverside-Orange County border. The 91 Express Lanes opened in 1995.
      >
      > Six years before that, the California Private Transportation Co., a company that owns and operates the toll lanes, entered into a franchise agreement with Caltrans that prohibits the state from making freeway improvements that might draw motorists away from the toll lanes.
      >
      > Corona officials claim that the agreement, which gives the express lane company veto power over widenings, has effectively stopped Caltrans from doing anything to reduce congestion on the Riverside Freeway through Corona.

      And a link:

      http://www.latimes.com/print/metro/20010504/t000037592.html
      Webmaster
      Darkroom Technical Consultant
      Freestyle Camera
      (323) 660-3460, ext. 148
      Monday through Friday, 9:00--4:30 Pacific Time
    • Ronald Dawson
      Message 2 of 2 , May 5, 2001
        Richard Risemberg sent:
        >A quote:
        >
        >> At issue is a state agreement to allow construction of 10 miles of toll
        lanes >>between the Costa Mesa Freeway in Anaheim and the Riverside-Orange
        County
        >border. The 91 Express Lanes opened in 1995.
        >>
        >> Six years before that, the California Private Transportation Co., a
        company
        >that owns and operates the toll lanes, entered into a franchise agreement
        with >Caltrans that prohibits the state from making freeway improvements
        that might
        >draw motorists away from the toll lanes.
        >>
        >> Corona officials claim that the agreement, which gives the express lane
        >company veto power over widenings, has effectively stopped Caltrans from
        doing >anything to reduce congestion on the Riverside Freeway through
        Corona.

        >And a link:
        >http://www.latimes.com/print/metro/20010504/t000037592.html

        I just hope that the "California Private Transportation Co." pays property
        taxes for the SR-91.
        One idea might be for the city of Corona to start charging motorists for
        access to its streets, that way it can simply charge congestion out of
        existence? Dawson