Rabid nutiness from abd or "Autobahnmotorwayautoroute"

  • Simon Baddeley
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2001
      Yes - it's an attempt to put space before place. Access by mobility
      impoverishes access by proximity.
      The means to arrive ends up blighting the destination. See Adrian Mitchell's
      poem "Autobahnmotorwayautoroute" - over a decade ago:

      Around the gleaming map of Europe
      A gigantic wedding ring
      Slowly revolves through Londonoslowestberlin
      Athensromemadridparis and home again,
      Slowly revolving.

      That's no ring,
      It's the great European Limousine,
      The Famous Goldenwhite Circular Car

      Slowly revolving

      All the cars in Europe have been welded together
      Into a mortal unity,
      A roundaboutgrandtourroundabout
      Trafficjamroundaboutagain,
      All the cars melted together,
      Citroenjaguarbugattivolkswagenporschedaf.

      Each passenger, lugging his
      Colourpiano, frozenmagazines, high-fidog,
      Clambers over the seat in front of him
      Towards what looks like the front of the car.
      They are dragging behind them
      Worksofart, lampshades made of human money,
      Instant children and exploding clocks.
      But the car's a circle
      No front no back
      No driver no steering wheel no windscreen no brakes no

      Regards

      Simon

      Message -----