RE: [carfree_cities] Toronto's Rocket Riders

  • 3L
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1 6:55 PM

      Why? I find it's easier to cross a one-way street. Bikes can manage to ride
      2-way anyways.
      Or do you mean a 2-way bike street once cars are out?
      Once carfree, Ste-Catherine would still allow cars to cross it using some
      lateral streets, but since all they can do is pass through on green (no turn
      of course), that's already much better.

      > >Perhaps only allowing the 15 bus route as the only motor vehicle , or
      > >turn the 15 into a "stroll train": a slow tractor pulling 3 or 4
      > cars with
      > >passenger benches,
      >
      > Oh, you mean a "balade".

      Yes, The balade that also rides people on the Old Port.

      > >like the ones that used to take people around between
      > >Ile-Ste-Helene and La Ronde attraction park.
      >
      > Though, I don't know if a balade would be the best vehicle for that area.
      That would be a first step before the reintroduction of modern streetcars.
      Collecting fares would be a challenge, but that transit line could be paid
      entirely by municipal taxes. And they could still use buses in winter...

      I remember going to Cap Saint-Jacques park and getting onboard of a balade.
      It's just nice riding this vehicle, which never runs faster than a fast
      cyclist. On the way, I got off where I shouldn't have, and had to run after
      it fast to follow my relatives because meanwhile the balade started
      advancing without me. I felt safe running besides it and talking to my
      family. I wasn't far behind when we arrived at the beach.

      Anyway, it's not difficult to beat actual cars and trucks (and even buses)
      by other kind of vehicles in terms of overall life quality.