Toronto's Rocket Riders

  • Ronald Dawson
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 29, 2001
      This is some thing I got off Toronto's Rocket Riders site. Dawson
      http://www.rocketriders.org

      STREETCAR-ONLY LANES ON KING STREET?

      The TTC has recently proposed banning cars on King Street during rush hours
      between Spadina and Jarvis. Not only would this actually increase the number
      of people that the street can move, but finally improve the lot of
      long-suffering riders. Growing complaints about service along the booming
      King corridor led to the Rocket Riders monitoring service along the route
      last year. The TTC later improved service and now has reassigned more
      extended streetcars to the 504 route to ease crowding. More needs to be
      done.

      This proposal apparently applies to all 4 lanes, not just the poorly
      enforced centre transit lanes now in place. Last fall, the TTC paid the
      Toronto Police Service to direct traffic enforcement to the street. The
      official verdict about the project is still pending, but we hear that
      transit vehicles moved much more quickly during this test period.
      Unfortunately, cars quickly retook the transit lanes when enforcement
      returned to normal.

      On Monday Gord Perks appeared on Citytv for a live interview at King and
      Spadina, promoting the idea. A subsequent CityOnline phone poll showed a
      majority of callers supporting the scheme. This is a great opportunity for
      riders to show their political clout and speak out in favour of better
      transit priority. It may also be a chance for those city councillors who
      won't support more TTC funding to finally prove they are as pro-transit as
      they claim to be. More on this soon.
    • 3L
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2001

        Great news, Ronald.

        Similarly in Montreal, we could make pressure to ban cars from Ste-Catherine
        street, say at least between old Forum (Atwater) and Papineau, or farther
        east. Perhaps only allowing the 15 bus route as the only motor vehicle , or
        turn the 15 into a "stroll train": a slow tractor pulling 3 or 4 cars with
        passenger benches, like the ones that used to take people around between
        Ile-Ste-Helene and La Ronde attraction park.

        After all Ste-Catherine is the most vivid outdoor shopping street in Canada
        (and North America?)

        Louis-Luc
      • Ronald Dawson
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1 12:13 PM
          Louis-Luc wrote:
          >Similarly in Montreal, we could make pressure to ban cars from
          Ste-Catherine
          >street, say at least between old Forum (Atwater) and Papineau, or farther
          >east.

          To me, I would like to see it return to being a two way street.

          >Perhaps only allowing the 15 bus route as the only motor vehicle , or
          >turn the 15 into a "stroll train": a slow tractor pulling 3 or 4 cars with
          >passenger benches,

          Oh, you mean a "balade".

          >like the ones that used to take people around between
          >Ile-Ste-Helene and La Ronde attraction park.

          Though, I don't know if a balade would be the best vehicle for that area.

          >After all Ste-Catherine is the most vivid outdoor shopping street in Canada
          >(and North America?)

          Je ne sais pas? Dawson
        • 3L
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1 6:55 PM

            Why? I find it's easier to cross a one-way street. Bikes can manage to ride
            2-way anyways.
            Or do you mean a 2-way bike street once cars are out?
            Once carfree, Ste-Catherine would still allow cars to cross it using some
            lateral streets, but since all they can do is pass through on green (no turn
            of course), that's already much better.

            > >Perhaps only allowing the 15 bus route as the only motor vehicle , or
            > >turn the 15 into a "stroll train": a slow tractor pulling 3 or 4
            > cars with
            > >passenger benches,
            >
            > Oh, you mean a "balade".

            Yes, The balade that also rides people on the Old Port.

            > >like the ones that used to take people around between
            > >Ile-Ste-Helene and La Ronde attraction park.
            >
            > Though, I don't know if a balade would be the best vehicle for that area.
            That would be a first step before the reintroduction of modern streetcars.
            Collecting fares would be a challenge, but that transit line could be paid
            entirely by municipal taxes. And they could still use buses in winter...

            I remember going to Cap Saint-Jacques park and getting onboard of a balade.
            It's just nice riding this vehicle, which never runs faster than a fast
            cyclist. On the way, I got off where I shouldn't have, and had to run after
            it fast to follow my relatives because meanwhile the balade started
            advancing without me. I felt safe running besides it and talking to my
            family. I wasn't far behind when we arrived at the beach.

            Anyway, it's not difficult to beat actual cars and trucks (and even buses)
            by other kind of vehicles in terms of overall life quality.