Re: [carfree_cities] Req: Help! Research Material

  • T. J. Binkley
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 25, 2001
      >There is also a book by Peter Calthorpe (another NU guru) it's title is
      >something like: the next metropolis, I think. His firm does alot of NU wolk
      >too: Calthorpe and Associates.

      Calthorpe's latest book, "The Regional City", is both more readable and
      more comprehensive than the earlier, "The Next American Metropolis". "The
      Regional City" describes a broad approach to addressing several issues
      simultaneously: transit, affordable housing, environmental preserves, urban
      renewal and improving pedestrian access everywhere. His ideas for
      "intensifying" and linking up several "walkable village centers" (Transit
      Oriented Developments) along light rail lines throughout sprawldom, while
      identifying and expanding protections for rural open space buffers, and
      watershed and wildlife corridors, represent several big steps in the right
      direction. The (missing) logical conclusion of course, is to make the
      still sub-urban, parking structure-filled, "village centers" into truly
      walkable, genuinely urban, carfree districts. Lots of pretty plans,
      renderings, photos---including fairly elaborate plans they have done for
      Portland and Salt Lake City, as well as smaller projects in California
      (Mountain View, San Mateo, Davis, Palo Alto, Berkeley and Ontario), Denver,
      and elsewhere.

      -T.J.
    • fort-fun@home.com
      Message 2 of 14 , May 29, 2001
        Neway...thank y'all for helping me find stuff...sorry I'm so late, too
        busy with this essay and school and all...ummm...So far it's better
        than I thought...I now have to cut down on the amount of words that I
        am doing...or perhaps drop a perspective.

        My paper goes somehow like so:
        Intro:
        -"City"
        -the City 2day
        -car's effect
        --Pollution: SOx NOx CO CO2 VOCs MTBE MMT noise etc

        Claim 1: Vehicular pollution...what's the bestway to fix? (Carfree,
        New Urban, Garden, "Sustainable" cities)

        Claim 2: "Sprawl"... (Carfree, New Urban, Garden, "Sustainable"
        cities)

        Claim 3: Heat & Power Efficiency

        Conclusion: Carfree best (of course) however as an intermediary the
        NewUrban is the way to go as it supports the highest density
        (increasing masst.port usage and reduces "sprawl" and increases heat
        and power efficiency) though not as well as carfree...

        The paper's type is: "Environmental Sciences/Studies..."

        Thanx again to all that helped me find resources...

        andrew REKER