Re: [carfree_cities] Great transit doesn't make it carfree

  • Doug Salzmann
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 25, 2001
      On Wednesday 25 April 2001 14:49, Kevin Pfeiffer wrote:

      > Though it's true that motorist behaviour regarding this was much
      > different in 1982 (when I moved here) than it is now.

      You're right. It seems to be getting (much) worse throughout the state.

      Of course, the lightspeed growth of sprawl and car-counts has much to do
      with that. It's absolutely amazing how fast they've been air dropping
      subdivisions onto the "golden, rolling hills of California." All those
      sprawl-dwellers live in cars.

      There may be a silver lining concealed in the clouds of recession, however.
      The economic slowdown, coupled with the $3.00-plus gasoline we're headed
      for in the near future, may make our notions of urbanity more generally
      attractive.

      We may have some unlikely attendees at our September seminar in California
      <Grin>.

      -Doug