Music vs. Sound

  • Craig Bollen
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 24, 2001
      J.H. Crawford Wrote

      "So, what are your nominations? Please remember that many people don't
      even know who the bands are any more (like me!), so when citing a
      piece of music, please give title, group, album name, year of release,
      and publisher, so others can find it, too."

      Are you ignoring half the problem by putting Music into this Multi-media
      show? Wouldn't the real sounds of Venice vs. the real sounds of LA work
      better? I think any music is better then the roar of traffic.
    • Roy Preston
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 24, 2001
        >Wouldn't the real sounds of Venice
        >vs. the real sounds of LA work

        Tend to agree, Craig. Let the pictures and 'natural' sounds speak for
        themselves, JH?

        Roy P
      • Eric_Floden@pch.gc.ca
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 24, 2001
          My thoughts here run to:

          - some Koyaanisqatsi (spelling?) soundtrack. Every time I watch this film, I am
          very much attuned to the madness of our roads (& fast-paced existence). The
          problem with this suggestion is that too few have seen the film, to make the
          association;
          - real sounds - enhanced to highlight the unpleasantness of auto & truck
          traffic, versus kids playing, bikes coasting past, etc.

          ef
          Vancouver BC
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 25, 2001
            Thanks to everybody who has made suggestions about the music track.

            Craig Bollen said:

            >Are you ignoring half the problem by putting Music into this Multi-media
            >show? Wouldn't the real sounds of Venice vs. the real sounds of LA work
            >better? I think any music is better then the roar of traffic.

            I should have mentioned that the current plan includes segments with
            just ambient sounds. The music, however, carries the main message.

            Micheele said:

            >How about Joni Mitchell's song "Big Yellow Taxi" ("We paved Paradise, and
            >put up a parking lot")?

            >Or the Ashford & Simpson '80's song "Nobody Walks in L.A."?

            The Joni Mitchell piece could work; it's just that I've never
            liked her music. If I'm going to have to edit the thing, I don't
            want to be listening to music that I don't like for hours on end....

            I'll have to check out the Ashford & Simpson piece.

            Roy Preston said:

            >Let the pictures and 'natural' sounds speak for themselves.

            I should have talked some about how these shows work. They're
            emotional pieces, not think pieces. It's to help try to change
            attitudes by putting people in touch with how bad they really
            feel about the cruddy environment in which they live. The
            ambient sounds are important and will be included, but the
            main part of the soundtrack will be music, which carries the
            emotional tone of the show.

            Eric Floden said:

            >- some Koyaanisqatsi (spelling?) soundtrack. Every time I watch this film, I am
            >very much attuned to the madness of our roads (& fast-paced existence). The
            >problem with this suggestion is that too few have seen the film, to make the
            >association;

            Wonderful film, although it inadvertently makes the obscene beautiful
            through the use of all the time-lapse photography. Don't recall the
            soundtrack--it's been years. I think that vocals are needed for the LA
            piece, though.

            >- real sounds - enhanced to highlight the unpleasantness of auto & truck
            >traffic, versus kids playing, bikes coasting past, etc.

            Thanks to Mark Watson for posting the lyrics to Nobody Walks in LA.

            Kevin Pfeiffer said:

            >You, of course, have to be careful that your message is clear. People
            >hear songs such as this one and believe that the chorus is true, which,
            >in fact, it's not.
            >
            >The problem is perhaps that "no one (who counts) walks in LA" meaning
            >that with some significant exceptions that the mode of transportation
            >here reflects (and promotes) a distinct segregation of different social
            >classes and economic levels (unlike - or to a much lesser extant like -
            >in Berlin, for example).
            >
            >So the "nobody walks in LA" message is very complicated. Many, many
            >people here who drive cars genuinely believe this message; effectively
            >discounting if not disenfranchising a large segment of our population.

            Could be a real problem--the message shouldn't be ambiguous at all,
            unless it's a song that almost everybody knows.

            Bob Matter said:

            >I suggest "The Battle Of Los Angeles" CD by Rage Against The Machine.

            I'll have a listen.

            Will Stewart said:

            >Only LA and Venice? One suggestion might be to include one carfree area with transit, such as
            >Frieburg or such, to show that is can really be done (Venice is so one of a kind that it might not
            >sink in with the uninitiated). You could also add other congested areas like DC and/or Atlanta to
            >acheive greater coverage and bring the message home to people in those areas. It would also help me
            >if I could show this to policy makers in my area (DC suburbs).

            Again, this is a simple show, appealing to emotions. I'm working with
            the alpha and the omega in order to draw the strongest possible
            contrast. The logical discussion of all of the subtleties and
            variations comes after the show, not in it.

            >You could create a musical collage for LA. One snippet that will
            >have some impact is Jimi Hendrix's "Cross Town Traffic"

            I'll check it out.

            >If you were considering having a segment on mass transit, a snippet
            >from Crosby, Stills, and Nash's "Marakesh Express" would be marvelous.

            Wrong connotations, I think.

            Thanks to all for the input.

            Regards,

            -- ### --

            J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
            postmaster@... Carfree.com
          • Lanyon, Ryan
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 25, 2001
              Although I'm not sure about the audibility of the lyrics, I am kind of
              partial to Siouxsie and the Banshee's 'Suburban Relapse'. It's from the
              late 1970s, and is a bit of a precursor to industrial music (it's actually
              punk). The harder screeches in it might help to evoke some negative
              connotations with LA/car culture (see: shock therapy). Sorry I don't have
              any more info about the song.

              -RL