[carfree_cities] Housekeeping

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 17, 2000
      This group is not now moderated--any member may post.
      As long as this continues to work, it'll stay this way.

      Please be nice, keep it short, don't quote miles of
      irrelevant parts of the previous posting.

      If you don't like the way it's going, please let me know.

      The ads will go away as soon as eGroups gets my check.

      You may want to read eGroups Terms & Conditions for stuff
      you don't like.

      Happy posting!
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 7, 2000
        Hi All,

        Some housekeeping points, if I may:

        The tone and content of the discussion have been good, and I have
        not had to intervene in any list problems so far.

        However, traffic on the list has risen to the point where I'm having
        trouble coping with it myself. So:

        Please limit your posts to one a day (two in a pinch!).
        Please try to hack out as much deadwood in the post to which you are
        replying as possible--leave only the parts relevant to your response.
        Please, no "right on, brother/sister!" messages. If necessary, please make
        these responses off-list (i.e., directly to the person involved).

        TJ Binkley and Doug Salzmann have agreed to become moderators of the group,
        to help with the smooth flow of things. Welcome and thanks!

        We'll be moving on to concrete action we can take to bring
        carfree streets to a city near you as quickly as possible.
        The actions now under consideration are:

        Carfree Cities conference (hopefully aboard a train in Europe)
        Promotional slide show
        3-D Internet walk-throughs
        Better simulation and modelling
        Construction of a larger maquette
        Correspondents for Carfree Times
        Building and maintaining the best carfree link site on the internet
        Fundraising/organization building

        Please consider which areas might interest you for direct
        involvement and action (that means actual work!).

        Finally, there are serious distribution problems with the book.
        I'm working to correct this as quickly as possible. In particular,
        I'm trying to coordinate with a great independent bookstore in
        Berkeley to do rapid fulfillment of Internet orders. More on these
        items soon. Meanwhile, please report to me at postmaster@...
        any problems you have trying to obtain the book.

        Thanks & regards,

        ###

        J.H. Crawford _Carfree Cities_
        postmaster@... http://www.carfree.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 28, 2000
          Hi All,

          Time again for some housekeeping notes.

          Quite a number of competent, well-informed, and well-connected citizens,
          designers, writers, activists, developers, planners, and financers, who
          have the specialized knowledge, expertise, political connections, and
          access to capital that we need to get carfree cities built are more
          likely to listen to and join in on our discussion if we keep our comments
          as concise, on-topic, and specific as possible.

          The partiticipation of these sort of like-minded individuals will benefit
          us all, and could dramatically accelerate the development of carfree
          cities.

          Everyone enjoys receiving a word of thanks or praise. Thanking an
          individual subscriber for responding to a query; or expressing a simple
          compliment or note of gratitude for a particularly useful, compelling, or
          inspiring message, will always be appreciated by that subscriber, and
          should be encouraged. Since such messages only concern one person,
          however, they should be sent directly to that person, not to the entire
          list. Similarly, messages likely to be of interest only to two or three
          subscribers should be sent directly to those individuals. Please
          consider whether your posting is likely to be of interest to most list
          subscribers. When in doubt, send it off-list.

          We have recieved complaints about the frequency, vagueness, and
          off-topic nature of the messages posted by a few members of this
          list. For the professionals on this list, opening, skimming, and deleting
          these messages is a sufficient burden that some have cancelled their
          membership in the group.

          Some members also remain concerned about the total number of postings on
          certain days. In addition to keeping our messages more directly focused
          on the topic of carfree cities, please combine the two or three or four
          messages to which you'd like to respond into a single message (with two
          or three or four different key words in the subject line if appropriate).

          As a reminder, please precede all links with a brief summary of the
          contents. It takes time to check a link to determine whether or not it's
          of interest. Remember that 80 people will see your posting--please be
          considerate of their time.

          In order to help save the time of list subscribers, please be sure
          to snip out redundant parts of the message to which you are reply.

          We don't want to have to put any members of this list on "moderated"
          status, but we will resort to this rather draconian measure if
          gentle persuasion doesn't do the trick. We'd really appreciate
          your cooperation in making this an effective list.

          We encourage everyone on the list who has comments, questions, or
          concerns about this to send them (off-list) to one or all of the
          moderators:

          TJ Binkley: <tjbink@...>
          Doug Salzmann: <doug@...>
          J.H. Crawford: <postmaster@...>

          We'll be happy to consider your concerns and interests.

          Thanks,

          Your moderators.

          ###

          On sabbatical until September. Please expect slow responses to e-mail.

          J.H. Crawford _Carfree Cities_ ISBN 9057270374
          postmaster@... http://www.carfree.com
        • Louis-Luc Le Guerrier
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 28, 2000
            1.

            Here in Montréal on the local newsgroup a montrealer asked us if he can more
            easily live carfree in Portland than he does in Montréal. He wants to
            determine if he should move to Portland or stay here.

            He asked about public transportation and walking in particular.

            Unfortunately nobody here seems to have lived in both places for a
            significant amount of time.

            2.

            Amoung the ridiculeness and unreality of car ads, here's one that probably
            beats the record.

            You first see a woman standing next to her bike, another person on foot,
            somewhere on a land with some nature. Suddenly the VW passes really close
            to them and the 2 people start to run after it. The 2 heros are also chased
            by several "ennemy" horseback riders. Suddenly the car brakes and puts
            itself in the way of horses and *miraculously* the vehicle doesn't get run
            onto by the horses (the images before let us think the collision can't be
            avoided). One of the heros gets on the passenger seat, and the car goes
            away, apparently with no more ennemy chasing it.

            This is serious, because the car showed potential danger to people outside
            of it (the 2 heroes), and then the driver has been in danger while stopping
            in the way of running horses.

            So if we assume the best for the company: the person watching the ad wants
            to buy a new car, I sincerely believe he won't be tempted to buy this car
            after this ad because the danger it showed. Furthermore it didn't give
            technical details or price.

            Louis-Luc
          • carfreecrawford
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 19, 2002
              Hi All,

              It seemed like a good time for a little housekeeping.

              I've been very pleased with the way the group has developed during
              the past two years.

              The following guidelines will improve the usefulness of the list for
              everyone:

              Be nice! This has always been a friendly, temperate group.
              Avoid posting more than once a day, twice in case of emergency.
              When responding, trim off irrelevant parts of the prior post.
              When responding, please begin, "John Doe said:".
              Keep messages reasonably short.
              Please spell check if your spelling is weak.
              Attachments cannot be sent.
              In the case of short articles, simply paste in the entire article.
              Please include sources and a full URLs where available.
              Spammers will be dealt with severely.

              Regards,
              J.H. Crawford
              Moderator
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 15, 2005
                Hi All,

                It's been a while since I mentioned some items of list etiquette.
                Please remember to:

                Trim junk from earlier posts when replying
                Be as brief as possible
                Don't try to be cute or clever--people don't have time for this
                and those whose native language is not English have trouble

                New members are moderated. If I don't like a member's first
                proposed posting, I don't approve it and it won't appear.

                Let's try again to be a little less eager to take up issues
                that are mainly of local interest.

                In general, I'm pleased with the group and the usual tone of
                the messages.

                Thanks & regards,

                ------ ### -----
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 30, 2008
                  Hi All,

                  It's time to review the list guidelines once more:
                  * Be nice! This has always been a friendly, temperate group.
                  * Avoid posting more than once a day, twice in case of emergency.
                  * Be considerate of people's time - 600 people will be reading your post.
                  * When responding to a posting, trim off irrelevant parts of the prior post.
                  * When responding, please begin, "John Doe said:" to identify the source.
                  * Keep messages reasonably short.
                  * Please spell check if your spelling is weak.
                  * Attachments cannot be sent.
                  * In the case of interesting short articles, simply paste in the entire article.
                  * Please include sources and full URLs where available.
                  * Spammers will be dealt with severely.

                  Thanks,

                  Joel