Re: Editorial: Bushwhacked

  • Guy Berliner
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8, 2001
      What makes a leader like Bush Jr. so dangerous is that, being
      unelected in the first place, he has little to lose. Never having
      won a popular election, he isn't accountable to any popular
      constituency save that minority which originally supported him,
      and he is unlikely to ever have to worry that his current agenda
      will ever alienate THEM. In fact, just the opposite. His
      increasingly fanatical hard right stance is only liable to strengthen
      his support with his (admittedly minority) constituency. And in
      America, we don't have an equivalent of "no-confidence" vote as
      exists in parliamentary systems, nor do we yet have recall or
      referenda elections on the federal level. The fact that Democrats
      in the 50-50 split Senate couldn't even find the backbone to effectively
      oppose even the most extreme of his appointees bodes ill indeed for
      the appointment of a special prosecutor, as should have long since
      happened to investigate the Bush Jr. crew's Florida election shenanigans,
      so devastatingly detailed by the BBC, even if the US Civil Rights
      Commission recommends a possible criminal investigation, which seems
      likely according to statements by some of the commissioners.

      As to the possibility of WTO intervention, dream on. The WTO doesn't
      treat competition policy in any systematic way. There's even doubt as
      to whether treaties like Kyoto themselves constitute "technical barriers
      to trade." I suggest you look a little closer at the WTO agreements.
      They actually go so far as to require all countries to craft all their
      laws and regulations in the "least trade restrictive" way. Imagine!
      In the WTO universe, the advancement of "trade" (i.e., unrestricted
      concentration of capital) is the highest and best purpose of government.
      Everything agreed to in the aftermath of the Uruguay round of trade
      talks that led to the WTO agreements was designed as a one-way ratchet
      to promote "trade" at the expense of all other social interests. The
      idea that trade agreements today exist for the purpose of reducing
      tariff barriers is an anachronism that citizens will soon see for what
      it is. The corporate and government ruling class has gone lightyears
      beyond such a traditional understanding, towards enshrining a "wise-use"
      style, corporate libertarian conception of property rights, and
      globalizing the most extreme positions of the US "takings" movement. Read
      up on the cases of Metalclad vs. Mexico and Methanex vs. California for
      more info on this. (See vancouver.indymedia.org to learn more about these
      cases.)