Re: [carfree_cities] Hard Drive

  • Doug Salzmann
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6 8:24 AM
      Endless silliness and stupidity.

      We've spent untold billions of dollars, devoted decades of research and the
      entire professional lives of thousands of researchers, crafted model after
      model and tested innumerable permutations of possible solutions to the
      problem of congested urban auto traffic.

      Total progress? None. At all. It's been getting steadily worse every day.

      When, one is entiled to wonder, will it occur to these intellectual giants
      that they never get good answers because they persist in asking the wrong
      questions?

      Ishi, California's "last wild Indian," was perplexed and amused at much of
      western technology. Generally, it seemed to him to be more trouble than it
      was worth. He thought Europeans were "clever children."

      He did approve of matches, though.

      -Doug

      Dawson sent us:

      > April 2001 Los Angeles Magazine
      >
      > Imagine a traffic jam. It is ten o'clock on a Thursday evening and you
      > are stuck somewhere on the south face of the Sepulveda Pass, stuck behind
      > what must be the mother of all accidents.
    • Chris Bradshaw
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 8 12:23 PM
        The long article is intended to show that people need to be replaced as
        drivers,
        but only on the parts of the road system that the most efficient
        travelers --
        cyclists and walkers -- are banned (but, then, that requires drivers
        never to
        emerge from their vehicles until they exit the freeways).

        The vision of automated highways is not costed out; we are only assure
        that there
        are plenty of pent-up demand for driving: further, faster,
        "frequenter." It is
        assumed that there is no higher state than traveling from one place to
        another
        occupying a footprint a thousand times larger than if one traveled by
        foot. Is a
        car trip more valuable or more important than a foot trip?

        What it inadvertently shows is how much of today's road system is based
        on poor
        understanding about the behaviour of drivers, individually and
        collectively.

        And the remark that the computer running the hundreds of thousands of
        cars that their drivers turned over to is control will need to make sure
        the driver is ready to re-assume control as it nears the driver's
        prefered exist ramps suggests that, if the driver is not ready, the
        computer would just keep the car on the road until he/she responds.
        That could be forever, if the driver died; it would turn the freeway
        system into portable cemetaries. Los Angeles would be the appropriate
        place to have the world's first.

        Chris Bradshaw
        Ottawa
      • Ronald Dawson
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 8 8:42 PM
          Chris Bradshaw wrote:
          >And the remark that the computer running the hundreds of thousands of
          >cars that their drivers turned over to is control will need to make sure
          >the driver is ready to re-assume control as it nears the driver's
          >prefered exist ramps suggests that, if the driver is not ready, the
          >computer would just keep the car on the road until he/she responds.
          >That could be forever,

          Or at least until it ran out of gas, then what?

          >if the driver died; it would turn the freeway
          >system into portable cemetaries. Los Angeles would be the appropriate
          >place to have the world's first.

          Drivers wanted? Dawson