RE: [carfree_cities] Car only streets

  • Ronald Dawson
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 5, 2001
      philip@... wrote:
      >> are there any other examples of strategic link roads in
      >> city
      >> >centres (perfectly wide enough for buses), where buses have been
      >> banned,
      >> >but private vehicles, vans and lorries are still allowed? This happens
      >> on
      >> >a section of High Street, Manchester,

      >>No offence, but it seems really odd to ban buses from the city centre.

      >Not to the car/tram-obsessed Labour politicians running the city, I'm
      >afraid.

      Oddly enough in Luton, Labour is pretty auto friendly as well and the
      Liberals & Tories are more pro transit.
      http://www.netmark.co.uk/cgi-local/newspro/viewnews.cgi?newsid985453410,3137
      1,

      >> >1a. Continue to get the bus to the eastern peripheral terminus (fare
      >> £7 a
      >> >week any distance for the vast majority of users), and then walk up to
      >> >mile crossing the city streets where motorists ignore illegal turns and
      >> >pedestrian-phased lights, and the chances of being hit by a pavement
      >> >cyclist is high.
      >>
      >> That's sad and your police seem to be very inept.

      >They simply aren't around. They would see it as minor offences (until
      >someone is killed), and to be fair to them, they are stretched. Manchester
      >has 30% less Police Officers per head than London, for instance.

      The city would gain revenue if they were issuing tickets.

      >> >1b. Continue to get the bus to the same point, walk about 100 yards,
      >> wait
      >> >for an unknown length of time for a tram that isn't full, pay an
      >> >additional £7.40 a week, then a further walk to your connecting
      >> bus/office
      >> >desk.
      >>
      >> That's another problem of not having an integrated transit system.
      >>
      >> >2. Drive.
      >> >If you've got a car - the preferred option is obvious!
      >
      >>Things seem to be very corrupt in Manchester.

      >This problem is partly due to Metrolink's refusal to have integrated
      >ticketing with the bus companies - they do allow (heavy) rail travellers
      >free onward travel across the city.

      Who is allowing this problem to persist?

      >Having said, that the Trams are not as
      >reliable as the local politicians/media bigwigs would have us believe, so
      >there would still be the problem of long waits and missed connections.

      So the entire system is totally f$&%ed up, in other words. Dawson
    • Ronald Dawson
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 8, 2001
        Andrew Preble wrote:
        >In the French Quarter in New Orleans, all buses and trucks are banned
        (public
        >and private) because of the sensitivity of the old houses and old streets
        being
        >constantly shaken by the heavy vehicles. Private cars are allowed on half
        of
        >it while the other half is car/bus/truck free.

        Sorry for the late response, but it sounds like a question of axle weight.
        One way around this could be the use of mini buses, the STCUM
        http://www.stcum.qc.ca uses such buses for similar reasons in
        Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue. Dawson

        http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~wyatt/alltime/pics/cit_roussillon.html
        http://www.blue-bird.com/smallbuses.html