Central High takeover of homes for parking

  • Rod and Lennie Kat
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5, 2001
      What could I suggest in this meeting to convince them to give public
      transport a closer look? I have ideas, but would like to hear your
      suggestions.

      Thanks,
      Lennie Dusek

      To CLRN members and supporters
      from Pres. Kathy Wells

      Centennial Neighborhoods residents are being summoned to a called meeting of
      the neighborhood at 10 a.m. Sat. Apr. 7 in the auditorium, Brandon Bldg.,
      campus of Ark. Children's Hospital, to discuss proposals by LR School
      District officials to take over residential properties to turn them into
      parking lots for Central High School.

      Also to be discussed will be Master Streetscape planning along Daisy Gatson
      Bates Dr.

      The called meeting was prompted by a recent meeting with school district
      officials, at which Doug Eaton, building supt., informed residents of plans
      to add parking spaces by closing Dennison St. between Bates Dr. and 13th
      St., enlarging the parking lot there, and buying other houses to turn into
      parking.

      More space is wanted for a baseball field and parking.

      Suggestions to increase public transportation rather than parking spaces
      were rebuffed.

      For more info, call Pres. Ethel Ambrose, Central High NA, 375-1829.
    • Michael Neuman
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 5, 2001
        -->For every gallon of gas burned in automobile driving, 23.8 pounds of
        carbon dioxide is emitted to the atmosphere, adding to global warming.

        -->For every ton of cement produced (to pave parking lots, highways,
        etc.), a ton of carbon dioxide is emitted to the atmosphere, adding to
        global warming.

        Tree and grassy areas REMOVE carbon dioxide from the atmosphere,
        lessening the rate of global warming. We need more trees and grassy
        areas, not more paved parking lots (that only serve to encourage even
        more driving).

        Lennie, I suggest you tell the LR school officials to use their minds and
        do what is right for the students at LR and the rest of us on the planet.
        If they are still in doubt about what to do, you might want to suggest
        they check the following books out at their local libraries (like I did)
        - and read them!

        1) "Street Reclaiming: Creating Livable Streets and Vibrant
        Communities", by David Engwicht, New Society Publishers (1999). Suggested
        visit for more information about the book and activism ideas:
        www.lesstraffic.com

        2) "The Official Earth Day Guide to Planet Repair", by Denis Hayes
        (Chairman and CEO of Earth Day), Island Press (2000). Contains excellent
        section on "Clean Transportation" pgs. 47-77.

        3) "Suburban Nation: The Rise of Sprawl and the Decline of the American
        Dream", by Andres Duany, Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk, and Jeff Speck, North
        Point Press (2000). Written by very forward thinking and prominent
        architects who are well aware of the need for major shifts in urban
        planning theory and aren't inhibited in saying what they believe is
        needed.

        Thanks for requesting suggestions. As for the baseball field, you might
        want to suggest the LR officials look for some nearby parking pavement
        (within 1/2 mile) to put the field. There are way too many parking lots,
        everywhere, anyway.
        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.