Re: [carfree_cities] Bus Lanes

  • philip@aal.cix.co.uk
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2001
      > Bus lane drivers face 700 more cameras
      > Mayor Ken Livingstone is determined to drive motorists from the
      > capital's 700 bus lanes to speed bus journeys and relieve pressure on
      > the Tube.

      Meanwhile, 200 miles north-northwest:

      From the Manchester Evening News "Motoring" section, 30/3/01:

      "A motorists' chances of being slapped with a parking ticket in beautiful,
      downtown Manchester today are nearly four times higher than two years ago.
      The city - regarded by many drivers as one of the most car-hostile
      in Britain - has handed out an average of 100,000 penalty fines a year for
      illegal parking since a private company took over street patrolling from
      police traffic wardens in 1999.
      Until then yellow-capped wardens wrote out between 25,000 & 30,000
      tickets in an average 12-month period.
      Meanwhile, the nondescript blue-coats of Control Plus, who were
      contracted by Manchester City Council when the system was privatised and
      now provide on-street patrols late into the night, have handed the local
      authority a �1m-a-year windfall.
      That money, says the council, is ringed-fenced for city centre
      road needs........
      A council spokesperson explains: Our priority is to make
      Manchester better for pedestrian, cyclists and non-car users.
      However, in partnership with National Car Parks, the council is
      responding more to motorists' needs by opening two new car parks - with
      620 places at Oxford Road and 720 at the Great Northern, on Deansgate."

      There is no comparison with London's bus lanes. The city of Manchester
      itself has about 3-4 miles of bus lanes. Driving in them is not a problem,
      but parking *is*.
    • Ronald Dawson
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2001
        philip@... wrote:
        >There is no comparison with London's bus lanes. The city of Manchester
        >itself has about 3-4 miles of bus lanes. Driving in them is not a problem,
        >but parking *is*.

        In Montreal we have that same problem of people parking in bus lanes, but
        they are the "time of day" types so that explains part of our situation.
        As for people driving in them, why don't the police crack down on this?
        Dawson