RE: [carfree_cities] Montréal: Ile-Sainte- Hélène/Ile-Notre-Dame carfree?

  • Ronald Dawson
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2000
      M. Le Guerrier wrote:
      >Hello everyone,
      It's nice to have another Montrealer on the list!
      I'm not old enough to remember EXPO, but it looked pretty good.
      (It was Canada's 100th birthday.)

      >Afterwards, and until now La Ronde attraction park continues to operate,
      >but elsewhere it has become a beautiful park with pic-nic areas, trees,
      >playgrounds, etc... Only one bad thing is there are still some roads
      >accessible to cars, and some cars drivers still using them. So these few
      >cars can create all the trouble because drivers drive fast since they
      >think they're lonely. So one still can't walk 100% safely, children
      >can't play 100% safely, and you still can't get silence and clean air.

      I know what you mean, I've walked the place.

      >Therefore, it's a good idea to continue to promote the carfree concept
      >in large cities like Montréal, to earn, slowly but certainly, some more
      >space available to walk, bike or rollerblade *without feeling your life
      >may be in danger*.

      Amen to that.

      >It's not done yet for the islands, it was just a poll, but we need to
      >let authorities know that the carfree idea is growing, to turn the talks
      >into actions.

      I second that.

      >Louis-Luc

      Louis-Luc and others here are a two URLs, you might want to check out.
      A Montreal Tramway map from 1941 (our tram system was mistakenly scraped in
      1959) and now there's talk about light rail, ain't life weird.
      http://www.emdx.qc.ca/rail/MTC1941/MontrealTramwaysCompany-1941.gif
      The group I belong to fighting to improve public transit in Quebec.
      http://www.consommateur.qc.ca/t2000/index.htm Currently, we are fighting for
      more commuter rail short term and with light rail long term.
      Dawson
    • Louis-Luc Le Guerrier
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2000
        > It's nice to have another Montrealer on the list!
        > I'm not old enough to remember EXPO, but it looked pretty good.
        > (It was Canada's 100th birthday.)

        I'm as happy as you, to know many Montrealers work to solve the
        problem. Me too, I'm too young to have gone to EXPO.

        > >think they're lonely. So one still can't walk 100% safely, children
        > >can't play 100% safely, and you still can't get silence and clean
        air.

        > I know what you mean, I've walked the place.

        Yes. Quebec is known to be the province where car drivers are the
        least respectful towards other road users. We're behind other
        Canadian provinces and most other countries. Is it why Quebec has the
        world's highest suicide rate? There might be a relationship :-(

        Louis-Luc
      • Ronald Dawson
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 5, 2000
          Louis-Luc wrote:
          >Yes. Quebec is known to be the province where car drivers are the
          >least respectful towards other road users. We're behind other
          >Canadian provinces and most other countries. Is it why Quebec has the
          >world's highest suicide rate? There might be a relationship :-(
          >Louis-Luc

          I don't think it is the reason for such a high rate, but your right that a
          lot of people drive as if they were in a Formula 1 race or maybe they are
          just Jacques Villeneuve wanna be's.

          I did find a interesting almost carfree thing at MSNBC that others might
          want to read. http://www.msnbc.com/news/381520.asp Till later,
          Dawson