Fw: Bristol and Bath Railway Path (BBRP) definitively open

  • Simon Baddeley
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2001
      I think we see an interesting matter of redefinition of cycle
      roads/paths/routes arising out of the current crisis.

      As John Richfield observes below, the confusion about whether or not the
      Bath-Bristol Cycle route was open (it is open!!) arose because the "path's "
      status was ambiguous - to quote John Richfield "... legally it is not
      highway but public open space (and so) it has fallen between stools till
      now...). I think that as a result of discussion between the three local
      councils involved the BBRP has come closer to being defined as highway.

      I do not agree that apologies are appropriate to people caught up and
      inconvenienced by this confusion. It was an honest error. (If you want real
      inconvenience try farming right now)

      Congratulations are in order to the officials and councillors who sorted
      this out for moving the issue of cycle-friendly infrastructure forward in a
      responsible way in trying times and made sure that people affected have been
      notified quickly.

      Simon

      Simon Baddeley
      0121 554 9794