Re: [carfree_cities] Auto Insurance?

  • Chris Bradshaw
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 4, 2001
      > Driver's insurer may face £40m bill for British rail disaster
      > GNER and Freightliner could seek up to £12m for the trains involved in the
      > collision – although four of the nine passenger coaches and the locomotive
      > at the back of the train may be salvageable.

      I believe in Canada and the U.S., there is an upper limit that an
      insurer will pay,
      $2 million or $5 million.

      > It is possible that re-insurers might try to mitigate their liability by
      > claiming that the Highways Agency should have erected more barriers to
      > ensure that runaway vehicles could not end up on the tracks.

      In Ottawa about 7-8 years ago, a semi-trailer truck left the main
      freeway just
      before the road crossed the transitway. It fell into the transitway
      trench where
      they was an adjacent public sidewalk, killing two people and critically
      injuring a
      third (two mothers were walking with two children in a stroller). The
      main
      emphasis of the investigation was the lack of proper road barriers to
      prevent the
      dire consequences that did result.

      In this case, the driver is surely responsible for his vehicle leaving
      the roadway,
      but not for the significance of the consequences that resulted in this
      particular
      case. I think the road and RR authorities will be held responsible for
      significant portion of the damages, at least they would if this had
      taken place in
      N. America.

      Chris Bradshaw, Ottawa