Re: [carfree_cities] Why older people don't take up cycling - rebuttal

  • Simon Baddeley
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2001
      Thanks, Roy.

      From: Roy Preston <preston@...>
      To: <carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2001 11:40 AM
      Subject: Re: [carfree_cities] Why older people don't take up cycling -
      rebuttal

    • eric.britton@ecoplan.org
      Message 2 of 4 , May 12, 2001
        John Whitelegg, Editor of the Journal of World Transport Policy and Practice
        is I am putting together a special issue of the journal "World Transport
        Policy and Practice" on the theme of transport, accessibility, mobility and
        the elderly. The planned contents are below. But it occurred to me that
        there might be place there for a cycling piece that looks at it from the
        vantage of the 70+'s. Anybody here have any thoughts or guidance for us on
        this?

        Eric Britton

        = = = = = =
        The contents will include the following:

        The transport needs of older people
        Travel behaviour and the elderly
        Walking, cycling and public transport use in this group
        Car use in this group especially car use by the over 80 years age group
        The links between accessibility and mobility for this group
        The links between physical activity (walking and cycling) and maintaining a
        long healthy life
        Travel needs of older people in developing countries
        Poverty, age and mobility
        Parkinson's disease and the continuation of a healthy, involved life style
        Older people and community vitality: the great under-utilised resource
        Disabled /differently abled people and transport needs

        The emphasis will be on real insights into this group of transport users
        based on original research and on evaluations of practical policy
        initiatives to address the needs of this group.

        All papers will be refereed.

        If you would like to submit a paper please let me have a title, author
        details and 50-100 word abstract.

        The paper itself would be needed by 15th September this year.