RE: [carfree_cities] Auto Insurance?

  • Ronald Dawson
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 4, 2001
      Philip wrote:
      >> Train companies are expected to ask for compensation for the disruption
      >> to their timetables. Passengers are being bused between Doncaster and
      >> York and the line is likely to be closed until 12 March. Railtrack will
      >> demand reimbursement for the cost of repairing the track.

      >A somewhat trivial point in the context of such a tragedy,

      I know, but it's just that it seemed so odd.

      >but note that
      >neither bus passengers nor operators can claim for disruption to their
      >journeys caused by long-term roadworks etc.

      Doing road work is some thing else (it's like in Montreal we have two
      seasons, winter and construction), you'll know about it and can plan ahead.
      What happened at Great Heck was a freak accident. Dawson
    • philip@aal.cix.co.uk
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4, 2001
        > Philip wrote:
        > >> Train companies are expected to ask for compensation for the
        > > disruption to their timetables.
        >
        > >A somewhat trivial point in the context of such a tragedy,
        >
        > I know, but it's just that it seemed so odd.

        No. I meant, *I* was being trivial.

        > >but note that
        > >neither bus passengers nor operators can claim for disruption to their
        > >journeys caused by long-term roadworks etc.
        >
        > Doing road work is some thing else (it's like in Montreal we have two
        > seasons, winter and construction), you'll know about it and can plan
        > ahead.

        That's sensible. In Britain (well northern England, at least) we do all
        urban roadworks in the winter, when commuting traffic is at its worst, and
        the weather causes problems. Conversely, the Motorways seem to have
        roadworks in the Summer, when everyone is using them to go on Holiday etc.
        Barmy!
      • Chris Bradshaw
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4, 2001
          > Driver's insurer may face £40m bill for British rail disaster
          > GNER and Freightliner could seek up to £12m for the trains involved in the
          > collision – although four of the nine passenger coaches and the locomotive
          > at the back of the train may be salvageable.

          I believe in Canada and the U.S., there is an upper limit that an
          insurer will pay,
          $2 million or $5 million.

          > It is possible that re-insurers might try to mitigate their liability by
          > claiming that the Highways Agency should have erected more barriers to
          > ensure that runaway vehicles could not end up on the tracks.

          In Ottawa about 7-8 years ago, a semi-trailer truck left the main
          freeway just
          before the road crossed the transitway. It fell into the transitway
          trench where
          they was an adjacent public sidewalk, killing two people and critically
          injuring a
          third (two mothers were walking with two children in a stroller). The
          main
          emphasis of the investigation was the lack of proper road barriers to
          prevent the
          dire consequences that did result.

          In this case, the driver is surely responsible for his vehicle leaving
          the roadway,
          but not for the significance of the consequences that resulted in this
          particular
          case. I think the road and RR authorities will be held responsible for
          significant portion of the damages, at least they would if this had
          taken place in
          N. America.

          Chris Bradshaw, Ottawa