RE: [carfree_cities] Cars, Trains, Planes, Bicycles, and Earthquakes

  • 3L
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1 7:56 PM
      Good thought! There's no better way of transportation than our self
      mobility, depending on nothing but our own body: walking, cycling, skiing...

      In my opinion, the second best mode is the metro (that doesn't interfere
      with surface), then comes the train because it's limited to the railways.

      I'd certainly enjoy an earthquake that would be strong enough to break the
      bridges that suck in way too many cars in Montreal each day. Then the quick
      solution will be shuttle boats (and metro if it survives!) to take people
      into the city carrying at most a bike. When people get used to this
      lifestyle, I believe government will think of a better solution than what
      has been done in the past.

      Louis-Luc

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1 8:51 PM
        Canal1@... wrote:
        >The solution to carless cities is for people to live in cities. We
        >do not need monorail, or light rail, or heavy rail, or any other
        >boondoggles designed to enrich contractors, construction trades, and
        >operating unions. As an in city property taxpayer, I think we should
        >encourage private jitneys and private bus operators (and private
        >light rail operators if they can get it together).

        Then you might want to take a look at these. Dawson
        http://www.wlb.at/index_e.htm
        http://www.tramlink.net/