Bus Rapid Transit

  • Craig Bollen
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2001
      I've never had the opportunity to use a system like the proposed Bus rapid
      Transit below.
      Does anyone have any experience? Because the bus transit ways are fixed
      does the line have the same benefits as a typical rail line? Any Opinions?

      http://www.ltd.org/brt1.html
    • Lanyon, Ryan
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2001
        Ottawa, Canada probably has one of the first major bus rapid transit systems
        (see www.octranspo.com). Briefly, some advantages and disadvantages are:

        Advantages:
        - routes are flexible, and can use the rapid transit system for part of the
        way, primarily through downtown, preventing the need to transfer (we have a
        number of express buses that offer door-to-door service from suburbs via
        neighbourhood collectors and then the rapid transit system)
        - the system can easily go from dedicated bus-only roadways to dedicated bus
        lanes, which works well when the project is built in phases (no need for
        immediate grade separation or new infrastructure)
        - steeper grades are more easily accomodated (assumption)
        - the system can be integrated into the local expressways. Bus-only lanes
        on expressways immediate show stalled car commuters the benefits of taking
        transit (works with rail if the line runs parallel or over the highway).

        Disadvantages:
        - the usual down sides of bus transportation - noise, pollution, social
        stigma
        - rail transit is still seen as preferred. We're building our first light
        rail line (on existing track), but there is talk of extending the rail
        system and replacing the bus-only ways
        - buses can get held up in traffic where the system merges with other roads
        - too many buses (and drivers) are needed in heavy volumes that could be
        served with fewer trains (capacity and cost issues)

        I think in general what we've experienced is that the system works well for
        a city under 1,000,000. Our metro area recently surpassed that mark, and
        new strains and pressures are pushing us toward light rail instead.

        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of my
        employer.

      • Ronald Dawson
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 2, 2001
          Lanyon, Ryan wrote:
          >Ottawa, Canada probably has one of the first major bus rapid transit
          systems
          >(see www.octranspo.com).

          As far as I know transitway construction costs have ranged from some where
          between $16 million to $58 million (CDN) a kilometre.

          >I think in general what we've experienced is that the system works well for
          >a city under 1,000,000. Our metro area recently surpassed that mark, and
          >new strains and pressures are pushing us toward light rail instead.

          The original plan/idea was to convert it to light rail.

          >The opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of my
          >employer.

          Also look at how much of it is built on former railway right of way.
          http://members.home.net/rails/maps.html Dawson

          P.S. Ryan, If you want more information stop by the T2000 office at Suite
          100, 117 Sparks Street, Ottawa ON.
        • philip@aal.cix.co.uk
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 3, 2001
            > As far as I know transitway construction costs have ranged from some
            > where between $16 million to $58 million (CDN) a kilometre.

            We don't have fully separated Bus transitways in the UK, but where
            extensive bus priorities, including short stretches of guided busway, has
            been introduced in Wolverhampton (just north of Birmingham), I understand
            the total cost for 11 kilometers (7 miles) was �3.5 million. I guess that
            would be about $1m (CDN) per mile - except this figure was supposed to
            include the 14 new buses as well as the infrastructure. Similar,
            successful schemes also operate in Edinburgh, and Leeds.
            In contrast, the initial LRT line in Manchester cost over �120 million,
            which is about �7 million a mile. However, this was essentially a Heavy
            Rail conversion, and subsequent extensions are/will cost considerably
            more, as Houses, School playgrounds, farmland etc have to be compulsorily
            purchased and destroyed (just like with major Roads)!
          • Ronald Dawson
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 4, 2001
              Philip wrote:
              >> As far as I know transitway construction costs have ranged from some
              >> where between $16 million to $58 million (CDN) a kilometre.
              >>
              >We don't have fully separated Bus transitways in the UK, but where
              >extensive bus priorities,

              We have bus lanes in Montreal as well.

              >including short stretches of guided busway,

              When you say "guided busway", do you mean buses with those small side
              mounted wheels on the front?

              >has
              >been introduced in Wolverhampton (just north of Birmingham), I understand
              >the total cost for 11 kilometers (7 miles) was £3.5 million. I guess that
              >would be about $1m (CDN) per mile - except this figure was supposed to
              >include the 14 new buses as well as the infrastructure. Similar,
              >successful schemes also operate in Edinburgh, and Leeds.

              Since there's less infrastructure, no wonder it's cheaper.

              >In contrast, the initial LRT line in Manchester cost over £120 million,
              >which is about £7 million a mile. However, this was essentially a Heavy
              >Rail conversion, and subsequent extensions are/will cost considerably
              >more, as Houses, School playgrounds, farmland etc have to be compulsorily
              >purchased and destroyed (just like with major Roads)!

              I'd like to who is planning this. Dawson
            • philip@aal.cix.co.uk
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 4, 2001
                > >including short stretches of guided busway,
                >
                > When you say "guided busway", do you mean buses with those small side
                > mounted wheels on the front?

                Yes.

                > >In contrast, the initial LRT line in Manchester cost over �120 million,
                > >which is about �7 million a mile. However, this was essentially a Heavy
                > >Rail conversion, and subsequent extensions are/will cost considerably
                > >more, as Houses, School playgrounds, farmland etc have to be
                > compulsorily purchased and destroyed (just like with major Roads)!
                >
                > I'd like to (know?) who is planning this.

                GMPTE, the local Government Agency that oversees public transport in the
                county - and are currently my employers.
                The above observations are largely to do with the Ashton-under-Lyne
                extension, which is definitely going ahead. The School playground is
                actually just reduced in size - not least to keep the actual Line a safe
                distance from the School premises. I believe the School has been
                "compensated".
              • Ronald Dawson
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 4, 2001
                  Philip wrote:
                  >GMPTE, the local Government Agency that oversees public transport in the
                  >county - and are currently my employers.
                  >The above observations are largely to do with the Ashton-under-Lyne
                  >extension, which is definitely going ahead. The School playground is
                  >actually just reduced in size - not least to keep the actual Line a safe
                  >distance from the School premises. I believe the School has been
                  >"compensated".

                  So I see. http://www.gmpte.gov.uk/newsdesk/library/ashmetb.html Dawson
                • Chris Bradshaw
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 4, 2001
                    As an Ottawan, I find the disadvantages of busways to be greater than
                    Ryan
                    mentioned.

                    Because the Ottawa system was built to allow later conversion to light
                    rail, it is
                    more costly than either alone. For instance, the grade of the
                    right-of-way was
                    limited to accommodate the more limited capability of rail, but the
                    width of the
                    right-of-way had to be wider than needed by light rail due to the need
                    for
                    additional snow storages and the decision to allow buses to pass each
                    other in the
                    stations and most everywhere else. Also, security is expensive, since
                    stations had
                    to be below/above-grade rights-of-way, although bus-only would allow
                    stations to be
                    at-grade, thus accessing the natural security ("eyes on the street")
                    that comes
                    with at-grade stations. Below/above grade stations are also cheaper to
                    build.

                    The system has also failed to stimulate infill development at the
                    stations (they
                    are really only stops, since buses for different routes don't have
                    unique "docking"
                    areas). This is because of one of the so-called advantages: reduced
                    need to
                    transfer (whereas rail systems require transfers between two different
                    systems for
                    the collector and the long-haul portions of th trip, busways don't).
                    The lack of
                    transfering means that there is little extra pedestrian traffic at the
                    transfer
                    points and also, those wanting to board the system at these points often
                    cannot
                    find an empty seat. Add to that the fact that those coming from further
                    out
                    usually don't pay extra for their seats for the longer trips they get.

                    For those wanting to limit transfers, rail provides a different
                    solution: live
                    closer to the main lines, rather than in the far corners of sprawled
                    subdivisions.
                    The bus sustem, by reaching the latter areas of cul-de-sacs and
                    crescents) reduces
                    the amount of walking (and cycling) that transit commuters will do
                    (often to avoid
                    the wait for a connector bus, when the walk isn't that far), and it
                    reduces the
                    reliance by people on the shopping and services near their home (and
                    this
                    discourages such outlets ever being located in the first place).

                    Most people today don't live or work near these "conveniences." As a
                    result, even
                    if they can commute to job/school by bus/walking/cycling, they can't
                    "chain"
                    personal-business destinations into those trips, as SUV (single-occupant
                    vehicle)
                    commuting can. Either workplaces will have to provide these outlets
                    within a short
                    walk of workplaces, or neighbourhoods will have to provide them. Else,
                    we will
                    never get people out of cars.

                    Chris Bradshaw, Ottawa

                    = = = = =

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 5, 2001

                      I think you mean at grade stations are cheaper to build. I disagree with
                      your argument that bus-only stations would be at-grade. If the system was
                      entirely built at grade, then it would not provide rapid transit. Take the
                      downtown core, for example, where the buses do run at grade. It provides a
                      slower service because of the need to stop at crossings. Grade separation
                      speeds up the system, and has nothing to do with modal choice.

                      > The system has also failed to stimulate infill development at the
                      > stations (they
                      > are really only stops, since buses for different routes don't have
                      > unique "docking"
                      > areas). This is because of one of the so-called advantages: reduced
                      > need to
                      > transfer (whereas rail systems require transfers between two different
                      > systems for
                      > the collector and the long-haul portions of th trip, busways don't).

                      I think this is really a planning failure, not a failure of a bus-only
                      system. Baseline Station is a very large transfer point, where local routes
                      feed into the rapid transit system. Unfortunately, there is a six-lane
                      arterial on one side, and a large parking lot on the other. Pedestrian and
                      cyclist traffic abounds, but there are still no services or transit-based
                      infill development.

                      > For those wanting to limit transfers, rail provides a different
                      > solution: live
                      > closer to the main lines, rather than in the far corners of sprawled
                      > subdivisions.
                      > The bus sustem, by reaching the latter areas of cul-de-sacs and
                      > crescents) reduces
                      > the amount of walking (and cycling) that transit commuters will do

                      Again, the choice of mode for rapid transit does not affect this. If a rail
                      system exists, it still has feeder bus routes. In Toronto, numerous buses
                      feed into the Finch subway station (not just from the north), so the entire
                      public transit network still reaches into the cul-de-sacs and reduces the
                      amount of active transportation.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 5, 2001
                        Ryan Lanyon replied:

                        >I think you mean at grade stations are cheaper to build. I disagree with
                        >your argument that bus-only stations would be at-grade. If the system was
                        >entirely built at grade, then it would not provide rapid transit. Take the
                        >downtown core, for example, where the buses do run at grade. It provides a
                        >slower service because of the need to stop at crossings. Grade separation
                        >speeds up the system, and has nothing to do with modal choice.

                        Right. Grade separation is almost essential. And I hope we agree
                        that the only direction to go is down, never up!

                        >I think this is really a planning failure, not a failure of a bus-only
                        >system. Baseline Station is a very large transfer point, where local routes
                        >feed into the rapid transit system. Unfortunately, there is a six-lane
                        >arterial on one side, and a large parking lot on the other. Pedestrian and
                        >cyclist traffic abounds, but there are still no services or transit-based
                        >infill development.

                        This is what's wrong with taking the easy way out: building rapid
                        transit systems down the middle of freeway meidans. It's quick
                        and cheap, and the stations are anywhere near anything useful.
                        Fundamental error.

                        >Again, the choice of mode for rapid transit does not affect this. If a rail
                        >system exists, it still has feeder bus routes. In Toronto, numerous buses
                        >feed into the Finch subway station (not just from the north), so the entire
                        >public transit network still reaches into the cul-de-sacs and reduces the
                        >amount of active transportation.

                        Well, if the area is dense enough (a la Manhattan), it has ONLY rail.

                        -- ### --

                        J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
                        postmaster@... Carfree.com
                      • Chris Bradshaw
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 6, 2001
                          "Lanyon, Ryan" wrote:

                          > I think you mean at grade stations are cheaper to build. I disagree with
                          > your argument that bus-only stations would be at-grade. If the system was
                          > entirely built at grade, then it would not provide rapid transit.

                          I prefer below-grade r-o-w, but at-grade stations. This involves the transit
                          vehicles climbing into the station, naturally losing momentum via gravity, and then
                          descending into the trench after the stop, accelerating via gravity again. This
                          "graviotram" technology saves lost of energy, but is more problematic with rail, as
                          the cars are longer (hard to handly the changes in grade) and they have more
                          trouble with hills.

                          > Again, the choice of mode for rapid transit does not affect this. If a rail
                          > system exists, it still has feeder bus routes.

                          Of course, there are still feeder route from the largest stations, but the simple
                          fact that riders have to transfer means that 1) they will consider shopping for
                          things they need at this transfer points, and 2) if it is not so far to get the
                          rest of the way home, walk instead of waiting for the connector bus, providing both
                          "eyes on the street" and giving them more exercise. When a bus-only system is used
                          _and_ the routes run from the burbs all the way to the centre of town (vs. having
                          only transitway-only routes run downtown, in which transfering is very common), the
                          rider has no need to even look up from his book or newspaper to notice the
                          neighbourhood-core shops. If he doesn't patronize them, he and the neighbourhood
                          will lose them.

                          Chris Bradshaw