RE: [carfree_cities] Carfree Times #18 draft

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2001
      Hi Oscar,

      >You can add this paragraph to the note Bogota Car Free Day, Again.

      Thanks, I've added a slightly-edited version of your text below.

      Regards,

      Joel

      >"Democracy in Movement, Car-Free Day 2001" was the name of this event. Two new components made mobility easier and gave citizens a glimpse of travel in the year 2015: 100-plus kilometres of cycle paths and two lines of TransMilenio with 95 buses transporting 200 000 people. The priority was public transport; people had to get to know TransMilenio and its feeders to use the system efficiently. It was also important to avoid congestion and increase travel velocity of those vehicles that were allowed, so the space for cyclists was reduced. Antanas Mockus, the new mayor, also met with some business associations to convince them that the city could function normally without private cars.
      >
      >Special guests for the events included mayors from other Colombian cities and other Latin American countries who wanted to experience first-hand the car-free city experience. Bogotá has provided an inspiration for other cities to join the First Earth Car Free Day 2001, to be held on April 19. To see how your locale could get involved in this exciting event, visit the website www.carfreeday.com
      >Your city will never be the same.
      >
      >You can also include the official home page www.sinmicarroenbogota.com
      >
      >Thank you,
      >
      >OSCAR EDMUNDO DIAZ
      >diazoe@...

      ###

      J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
      postmaster@... Carfree.com
    • philip@aal.cix.co.uk
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 8, 2001
        > >had limited the speed of his car
        > >to, say, 20 MPH, the people he hit
        > >probably would not have died.
        >
        > In the UK, owners of lethal weapons, such as firearms, are required to
        > not only carry a licence but to use their weapons in dedicated shooting
        > ranges.
        > Not so in the case of car owners!
        >
        > In built-up areas, pedestrians risk their lives having to dodge car
        > drivers. We have to negotiate virtual shooting ranges.
        >
        > With a simple change of law this could easily be redressed. Let car
        > drivers do what they will on their shooting ranges -- dual-carriageways,
        > motorways, but in town centres they drive at 10 mph. Common sense!!
        >
        > Inonvenience verses Life Saving. Simple chice. Why not give it to us?
        > Try it for goodness sake!

        Great in theory! But where is the enforcement?
        I'm not sure about the US, but here in the UK the all-powerful Media are
        forever condemning the Police for "picking on the poor motorist", who they
        feel should get away with everything from speeding to blocking bus stops.
        And indeed, they *do* get away with motoring transgressions.
        The obvious compromise here is that the Police should spend less time and
        "tax dollars" policing the Motorway/Highway speed limits, and more time
        protecting Pedestrians in urban areas from speeding and red-light running
        motorists.
        One of the Media's cynical angles is that "Picking on motorists" increases
        the Arrest rate. This is nonsense; If the Police really wanted to go for
        volume of arrests, they would walk round towns and city centres, where
        they would witness Speeding, illegal parking, illegal turns, driving over
        junctions when Pedestrians have the green light etc, *every ten yards*
        Where Chemists, AutoBank machines or Take-Aways have been built adjacent
        to bus stops/termini, I guarantee that an Police Officer or Traffic Warden
        could walk past a catch at least two motorists illegally or obstructively
        parked. All they would then need to do would be to walk round a corner and
        return three minutes later and catch another two. On average, I see three
        vehicles parked on the four town centre bus stops I pass each evening on
        my way home from work. At �20 a time, I reckon Traffic Wardens should be
        earning the taxpayer thousands of pounds a day each, just by concentrating
        on Bus Stops.

        Every lunchtime I look out of my canteen window and see a Fork Lift truck
        make an illegal turn out of Piccadilly Bus Station (Manchester) and cross
        a Pedestrian crossing when the Pedestrians have right of way.
        Last night I was almost hit twice within 30 seconds as I walked to catch
        my bus home. First I just managed to get ahead of a cyclist weaving his
        way through pedestrians on the pavement at about 10 mph. Then as I crossed
        the junction five yards away, on the pedestrian phase, a PH taxi crossed
        the red light and I had to step back onto the kerb.
        These are all everyday occurrences.

        In a 48-hour period this week, two people have been killed by cars in
        criminal circumstances, within 10 miles of each other.
        During Monday's evening rush hour, a Policewoman was knocked down and then
        run over, whilst on "routine patrol" on the Manchester/Oldham border. Then
        last night, a man was hit and killed by a stolen car whilst walking *on
        the pavement* near Rochdale, some 8 miles North-East of the earlier
        tragedy. This car then sped off, and AFAIK the Police are still looking
        for the driver.
      • Roy Preston
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 8, 2001
          >Great in theory! But where is the enforcement?

          I see no problem whatsoever with enforcement, Philip. Obviously, it cannot
          be left up to the altruism of car drivers. Physical restraints are
          required; traffic calming that clearly indicates that pedestrians have
          right of way. Yes, it costs money, but when you consider that the
          Government has concluded that the life of a pedestrian is worth around
          £1,000,000, the cost of a traffic-calmed street is a peanut. This is not,
          of course, a solution in the spirit of the name of this forum, but it's a
          step in the right direction.

          Roy P