Re: Monorails

  • Karen Sandness
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28 11:30 PM

      > Monorails do have their niche, but what it is, I do not know. Though I've
      > heard that in Japan they have been quite successful, but I don't have to
      > many details.
      > Dawson

      The only monorail I know of in Japan is the one that was built for the
      1964 Tokyo Olympics, connecting the former international airport with
      the city center.

      That particular airport is still used for domestic flights, and a
      popular horse racing track is at one of the intermediate stops, so
      there's a pretty steady passenger load.

      The area that it runs through was rather ugly to begin with (industrial
      and shipping), so I can't say anything about the aesthetic effects of
      the monorail.

      There are plenty of elevated trains, and they seem less disruptive than
      elevated highways. Of course, with the scarcity of land in Japan, I've
      even seen houses built under elevated highways, and in many places,
      there are little stores under the train tracks.

      Osaka's circular commuter line is elevated for much of its distance, and
      one ends up riding among high rise apartment buildings at about the
      second- or third-story level. I found it to be a bizarre sensation,
      zooming along among people's living rooms.

      In transit,
      Karen Sandness
    • cjb121@york.ac.uk
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2001
        > The only monorail I know of in Japan is the one that was built for
        the
        > 1964 Tokyo Olympics, connecting the former international airport
        with
        > the city center.

        Actually, there are lots in Japan. Check out
        http://www.monorails.org/tMspages/Japan.html . The Tama line itself
        is 16km long, but they want to increase it to 93km, while the
        Tokyo-Haneda actually turns a profit each year.