Cars, Trains, Planes, Bicycles, and Earthquakes

  • Canal1@qwest.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2001
      At 10:55 this morning, as I was printing out some checks, I broke my
      personal record by experiencing a 6.8 earthquake (my previous record
      was 6.7). After recovering from this event, I jumped on my bicycle
      to ride downtown to deliver one of the aforementioned checks to my
      stockbroker at Pike and Fourth, in downtown Seattle. I live in the
      Fremont district, downtown is three or four miles away (via Dexter Av
      N, the perferred bike route, equipped with bike lanes). Meanwhile,
      all arterials were jam packed. Later I heard that the time to get to
      Kent (20 miles or so south) was three hours. Of course the railroads
      were shut down as well as all air transportation. The monorail, a
      tourist joke, was running, complete irresponsibility.

      The solution to carless cities is for people to live in cities. We
      do not need monorail, or light rail, or heavy rail, or any other
      boondoggles designed to enrich contractors, construction trades, and
      operating unions. As an in city property taxpayer, I think we should
      encourage private jitneys and private bus operators (and private
      light rail operators if they can get it together). But to hell with
      highways and freeways, the very existance of which removes private
      property from the tax rolls, while the government comes with a tin
      cup to me to require that I to contribute tax money to make up that
      difference and to finance the maintenance of those roads. There is
      no reason why I should have to subsidize idiots and their cars.

      I saw my broker, made my trade, and got home. All in less than an
      hour. The cost: a couple drops of three-in-one oil. A 6.8
      earthquake may bring the cars, trains, and planes to a halt, but not
      me.

      John Crosby, age 55
      Carless in Seattle
    • 3L
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1 7:56 PM
        Good thought! There's no better way of transportation than our self
        mobility, depending on nothing but our own body: walking, cycling, skiing...

        In my opinion, the second best mode is the metro (that doesn't interfere
        with surface), then comes the train because it's limited to the railways.

        I'd certainly enjoy an earthquake that would be strong enough to break the
        bridges that suck in way too many cars in Montreal each day. Then the quick
        solution will be shuttle boats (and metro if it survives!) to take people
        into the city carrying at most a bike. When people get used to this
        lifestyle, I believe government will think of a better solution than what
        has been done in the past.

        Louis-Luc

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1 8:51 PM
          Canal1@... wrote:
          >The solution to carless cities is for people to live in cities. We
          >do not need monorail, or light rail, or heavy rail, or any other
          >boondoggles designed to enrich contractors, construction trades, and
          >operating unions. As an in city property taxpayer, I think we should
          >encourage private jitneys and private bus operators (and private
          >light rail operators if they can get it together).

          Then you might want to take a look at these. Dawson
          http://www.wlb.at/index_e.htm
          http://www.tramlink.net/