Carfree Times #18 draft

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 28, 2001
      Hi All,

      The next edition of Carfree Times is now on line at:

      http://www.carfree.com/cft/i018.html

      It's done except for setting the final order of the
      stories.

      I'd be obliged if list members would check it for bloopers.

      Thanks,

      ###

      J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
      postmaster@... Carfree.com
    • Mark Watson
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 28, 2001
        typo in Shattered Kneecap [ visit ]

        ...Traveler's Warning in effect for �vora - vist at your own risk.

        Also the statement about looking & feeling carfree might be a little
        unclear. Maybe something like:

        The reason is that, while many parts of �vora look carfree, most of it does
        not feel carfree. Cars are not in evidence much of the time, because many
        of the strets are too narrow for a car to pass a parked car. However, when
        a car does drives through one of these streets (some of which are little
        more than 2 meters wide), they tend to do so at unsafe rocket-like speeds.

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 28, 2001
          The reason is that, while many parts of Évora look carfree, most of it does
          not feel carfree. Cars are not in evidence much of the time, because many
          of the strets are too narrow for a car to pass a parked car. However, when
          a car does drives through one of these streets (some of which are little
          more than 2 meters wide), they tend to do so at unsafe rocket-like speeds.

          A way to protest this unsafe behavior of those fast car drivers would be to
          set some objects in the narrow streets. Maybe large stones, bricks, wood
          logs, large tree branches, or perhaps pole signs saying "Please drive
          slowly". The driver is forced to slow down to avoid the obstacles.

          I agree fast cars waste the beauty of any city, no matter how attractive
          it visually is otherwise.

          Louis-Luc
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 28, 2001
            Louis-Luc said

            What this really is is a safety hazard of the highest order.
            I didn't say it in Carfree Times, but I had a guy threaten to pin
            me against the wall with his car. I had slapped his side mirror with
            my newspaper when he went by way too fast, just inches from my knee.

            I can't see tolerating cars in cities on any basis other than
            automated speed limiting that makes it simply impossible to drive
            faster than the speed limit. This certainly should apply in cities.
            Elsewhere, I don't know. It's the hazard to pedestrians that
            is at issue here. I don't like to bring it up, but the same
            awful thing happened again last weekend, in Santa Barbara.
            This time, more people were killed than usual, so somebody noticed.
            Oh, and it was the 18-year-old son of a director who did it.
            If electronic street infrastructure had limited the speed of his car
            to, say, 20 MPH, the people he hit probably would not have died.

            >The reason is that, while many parts of Évora look carfree, most of it does
            >not feel carfree. Cars are not in evidence much of the time, because many
            >of the strets are too narrow for a car to pass a parked car. However, when
            >a car does drives through one of these streets (some of which are little
            >more than 2 meters wide), they tend to do so at unsafe rocket-like speeds.
            >

            >A way to protest this unsafe behavior of those fast car drivers would be to
            >set some objects in the narrow streets. Maybe large stones, bricks, wood
            >logs, large tree branches, or perhaps pole signs saying "Please drive
            >slowly". The driver is forced to slow down to avoid the obstacles.
            >
            >I agree fast cars waste the beauty of any city, no matter how attractive
            >it visually is otherwise.

            ###

            J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
            postmaster@... Carfree.com
          • OSCAR EDMUNDO DIAZ
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 28, 2001
              Dear J.H.,

              You can add this paragraph to the note Bogota Car Free Day, Again.

              "Democracy in Movement, Car-Free Day 2001" was the name of this event. Two new components made mobility easier and gave citizens a glimpse of travel in the year 2015: 100-plus kilometres of cycle paths and two lines of TransMilenio with 95 buses transporting 200 000 people. The priority was public transport; people had to get to know TransMilenio and its feeders to use the system efficiently. It was also important to avoid congestion and increase travel velocity of those vehicles that were allowed, so the space for cyclists was reduced. Antanas Mockus, the new mayor, also met with some business associations to convince them that the city could function normally without private cars.

              Special guests for the events included mayors from other Colombian cities and other Latin American countries who wanted to experience first-hand the car-free city experience. Bogotá has provided an inspiration for other cities to join the First Earth Car Free Day 2001, to be held on April 19. To see how your locale could get involved in this exciting event, visit the website www.carfreeday.com
              Your city will never be the same.

              You can also include the official home page www.sinmicarroenbogota.com

              Thank you,

              OSCAR EDMUNDO DIAZ
              diazoe@...

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 28, 2001
                >had limited the speed of his car
                >to, say, 20 MPH, the people he hit
                >probably would not have died.

                In the UK, owners of lethal weapons, such as firearms, are required to not
                only carry a licence but to use their weapons in dedicated shooting ranges.
                Not so in the case of car owners!

                In built-up areas, pedestrians risk their lives having to dodge car
                drivers. We have to negotiate virtual shooting ranges.

                With a simple change of law this could easily be redressed. Let car drivers
                do what they will on their shooting ranges -- dual-carriageways, motorways,
                but in town centres they drive at 10 mph. Common sense!!

                Inonvenience verses Life Saving. Simple chice. Why not give it to us? Try
                it for goodness sake!

                Roy P
              • 3L
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 28, 2001
                  Absolutely true.
                  Cars are weapons if not driven safely for the surroundings. We must forbid
                  such use of weapons, like any other weapon on the person.

                  Would you accept to walk in a place where someone points a gun to you and
                  tells you he will shoot if you move forward?
                  For my part I refuse to walk in such an area, neither in an area where
                  cars are used as weapon to dissuade you from moving comfortably.

                  This problem always comes back, no matter how you try to examine the issue.
                  I feel communities where cars are misused in their city are *cheated*,
                  because people can't move around in serenity.

                  In contrast, we can walk peacefully in the most highly crowded place,
                  provided there is no car, since you can afford to run into someone or to be
                  run into by someone without any risk whatsoever.

                  Louis-Luc

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 1, 2001
                    Hi Oscar,

                    >You can add this paragraph to the note Bogota Car Free Day, Again.

                    Thanks, I've added a slightly-edited version of your text below.

                    Regards,

                    Joel

                    >"Democracy in Movement, Car-Free Day 2001" was the name of this event. Two new components made mobility easier and gave citizens a glimpse of travel in the year 2015: 100-plus kilometres of cycle paths and two lines of TransMilenio with 95 buses transporting 200 000 people. The priority was public transport; people had to get to know TransMilenio and its feeders to use the system efficiently. It was also important to avoid congestion and increase travel velocity of those vehicles that were allowed, so the space for cyclists was reduced. Antanas Mockus, the new mayor, also met with some business associations to convince them that the city could function normally without private cars.
                    >
                    >Special guests for the events included mayors from other Colombian cities and other Latin American countries who wanted to experience first-hand the car-free city experience. Bogotá has provided an inspiration for other cities to join the First Earth Car Free Day 2001, to be held on April 19. To see how your locale could get involved in this exciting event, visit the website www.carfreeday.com
                    >Your city will never be the same.
                    >
                    >You can also include the official home page www.sinmicarroenbogota.com
                    >
                    >Thank you,
                    >
                    >OSCAR EDMUNDO DIAZ
                    >diazoe@...

                    ###

                    J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
                    postmaster@... Carfree.com
                  • philip@aal.cix.co.uk
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 8, 2001
                      > >had limited the speed of his car
                      > >to, say, 20 MPH, the people he hit
                      > >probably would not have died.
                      >
                      > In the UK, owners of lethal weapons, such as firearms, are required to
                      > not only carry a licence but to use their weapons in dedicated shooting
                      > ranges.
                      > Not so in the case of car owners!
                      >
                      > In built-up areas, pedestrians risk their lives having to dodge car
                      > drivers. We have to negotiate virtual shooting ranges.
                      >
                      > With a simple change of law this could easily be redressed. Let car
                      > drivers do what they will on their shooting ranges -- dual-carriageways,
                      > motorways, but in town centres they drive at 10 mph. Common sense!!
                      >
                      > Inonvenience verses Life Saving. Simple chice. Why not give it to us?
                      > Try it for goodness sake!

                      Great in theory! But where is the enforcement?
                      I'm not sure about the US, but here in the UK the all-powerful Media are
                      forever condemning the Police for "picking on the poor motorist", who they
                      feel should get away with everything from speeding to blocking bus stops.
                      And indeed, they *do* get away with motoring transgressions.
                      The obvious compromise here is that the Police should spend less time and
                      "tax dollars" policing the Motorway/Highway speed limits, and more time
                      protecting Pedestrians in urban areas from speeding and red-light running
                      motorists.
                      One of the Media's cynical angles is that "Picking on motorists" increases
                      the Arrest rate. This is nonsense; If the Police really wanted to go for
                      volume of arrests, they would walk round towns and city centres, where
                      they would witness Speeding, illegal parking, illegal turns, driving over
                      junctions when Pedestrians have the green light etc, *every ten yards*
                      Where Chemists, AutoBank machines or Take-Aways have been built adjacent
                      to bus stops/termini, I guarantee that an Police Officer or Traffic Warden
                      could walk past a catch at least two motorists illegally or obstructively
                      parked. All they would then need to do would be to walk round a corner and
                      return three minutes later and catch another two. On average, I see three
                      vehicles parked on the four town centre bus stops I pass each evening on
                      my way home from work. At �20 a time, I reckon Traffic Wardens should be
                      earning the taxpayer thousands of pounds a day each, just by concentrating
                      on Bus Stops.

                      Every lunchtime I look out of my canteen window and see a Fork Lift truck
                      make an illegal turn out of Piccadilly Bus Station (Manchester) and cross
                      a Pedestrian crossing when the Pedestrians have right of way.
                      Last night I was almost hit twice within 30 seconds as I walked to catch
                      my bus home. First I just managed to get ahead of a cyclist weaving his
                      way through pedestrians on the pavement at about 10 mph. Then as I crossed
                      the junction five yards away, on the pedestrian phase, a PH taxi crossed
                      the red light and I had to step back onto the kerb.
                      These are all everyday occurrences.

                      In a 48-hour period this week, two people have been killed by cars in
                      criminal circumstances, within 10 miles of each other.
                      During Monday's evening rush hour, a Policewoman was knocked down and then
                      run over, whilst on "routine patrol" on the Manchester/Oldham border. Then
                      last night, a man was hit and killed by a stolen car whilst walking *on
                      the pavement* near Rochdale, some 8 miles North-East of the earlier
                      tragedy. This car then sped off, and AFAIK the Police are still looking
                      for the driver.
                    • Roy Preston
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 8, 2001
                        >Great in theory! But where is the enforcement?

                        I see no problem whatsoever with enforcement, Philip. Obviously, it cannot
                        be left up to the altruism of car drivers. Physical restraints are
                        required; traffic calming that clearly indicates that pedestrians have
                        right of way. Yes, it costs money, but when you consider that the
                        Government has concluded that the life of a pedestrian is worth around
                        £1,000,000, the cost of a traffic-calmed street is a peanut. This is not,
                        of course, a solution in the spirit of the name of this forum, but it's a
                        step in the right direction.

                        Roy P