RE: [carfree_cities] Re: REQ: Quality of Life Survey

  • Lanyon, Ryan
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2001
      Funny, I just came across this from our local paper. Helps to explain the
      methodology a bit...:

      City survey snubs capital
      February 27, 2001

      By RILEY DENVER, Ottawa Sun
      Ottawa was not among the 215 cities surveyed in the annual William M. Mercer
      international quality-of-life survey, released yesterday.

      In fact, Ottawa has never been included in the survey.

      "It's driven by the demands of our clients," said Alexa McCallum of William
      M. Mercer, "and there haven't been enough companies wanting to place
      employees in Ottawa that have wanted an assessment of the city."

      Vancouver and Zurich tied for first place. It's Vancouver's second
      consecutive year topping the survey.

      The point of the survey is to help major companies and governments determine
      allowances for employees stationed worldwide.

      Ottawa's exclusion can be seen as a good sign, because a high quality of
      life is assumed by the Canadian capital by the international companies and
      governments commissioning the survey.

      Toronto and Montreal were included and finished tied for 19th. Calgary
      finished in a tie for 27th.

      SOCIAL STABILITY

      According to the report, the Canadian cities ranked so high due to a
      combination of social stability, excellent infrastructure, and good leisure
      facilities.

      "The fact that four Canadian cities are ranked in the top 12% among cities
      around the world underlines Canada's strong competitive position on the
      global stage," McCallum said.

      The survey took into account 39 quality-of-living criteria from 10
      categories like political stability, schools and education and natural
      environment.