Re: [carfree_cities] Digest Number 312

  • philip@aal.cix.co.uk
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 23, 2001
      > carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      > _

      > A Car-Free Day would be wonderful, not only because Portland could
      > handle it a lot better than many cities, but because it would give John
      > Charles, ..... and our other local defenders of
      > the Sacred Car conniption fits.

      I accept I can only judge Mr. Charles on his recent editorial about
      Portland's Transit modes, but translating his arguments across the
      Atlantic to Deregulated Britain (ie. NOT London), his comments could in no
      way be construed as "pro-Car".

      Speaking purely from a British point of view, it seems that we confuse the
      Road v Rail debate, with Private transport v Public transport/Mass transit
      argument. This is partly because most so-called "Experts" over here,
      either;
      a. Have full use of a car, and rarely use public transport or
      b. Are based in/draw experience solely from Greater London, where
      Transport policy and Law is totally different to the rest of Britain.

      or usually,
      c. BOTH.

      In the "real" Britain, to support Rail (particularly for short journeys of
      less than about 20 miles) is to support increased ownership/use of Cars.
      For reasons I have explained before (Market forces, distances to mode,
      prices etc.), it can be generally assumed that Rail users are motorists,
      Bus users aren't. As current transport policies continue this
      Generalisation will become more and more accurate, and the gap between
      (Transport) haves & have nots will grow with it.