RE: [carfree_cities] Slanted sidewalks, not that convenient.

  • 3L
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 9, 2001

      A suggestion:
      How about knocking on his window, as you would do to ask information about
      your way or something, and when he opens it, you just ask him politely
      "Please get out of the way, presently you're blocking a traffic lane".

      Was the SUV driver executed for his murder?

      Louis-Luc
    • 3L
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 9, 2001

        Yes, I'm talking about slants by driveways.
        Last year, another SUV driver entered fast a driveway, he had time to do so
        before my arrival, but he did it so fast that his action still surprised me.
        I walked up to a comfortable distance from his door and stood still watching
        him. He was too afraid to open his door, fearing I would talk to him about
        his driving. After 20 seconds, I left, but I was thinking he won't be as
        agressive next time since if he really cuts someone that way he may really
        get someone angry or ready for battle waiting him to get off.
      • Robert J. Matter
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 9, 2001
          3L wrote:

          > Was the SUV driver executed for his murder?

          No. Last I heard, the murderer was living free out on bond. The killing was April 1999, not 2000 like I was thinking so it is going on two years.

          Here is the story from the Chicago Reader:

          Lost Voice

          Thomas McBride, the cyclist killed in a confrontation with an SUV driver on Monday, April 26, was one
          of a number of young bike messengers involved in the local music scene. He played percussion in the
          Wicker Park band Disarray and had recently contributed a song to The Mysterious Hub Tour, a collection
          of music by couriers on the Void Ware label, under the name Aperture. He was supposed to perform at a
          release party for the record on June 4 at Hopcats, according to Void Ware head Rod Richardson, a
          sometime bike messenger himself.

          McBride, 26, had been a messenger for six years and was riding in to work that morning from his home in
          Oak Park. On the 5300 block of West Washington, in front of witnesses, he was cut off by 28-year-old
          Carnell Fitzpatrick, who was driving a 1997 Chevy Tahoe. After McBride hit the truck with his hand,
          Fitzpatrick slowed, apparently to let him pass, then bumped him several times. After McBride fell, police
          say, Fitzpatrick ran over him and drove away. McBride was pronounced dead on arrival at Mount Sinai
          Hospital.

          Police found Fitzpatrick's license plate under McBride's body; once Fitzpatrick realized the tag was gone,
          he turned himself in and has been charged with first-degree murder. At press time he was still being held,
          but bond had been set at $200,000. A preliminary hearing is slated for May 19.

          -Bob Matter
          Hammond, IN
          -----------
          "Drivers have to understand that cyclists are really helping
          save the environment and the wear and tear on the streets."
          --Richard M. Daley, Mayor of Chicago
        • 3L
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 9, 2001

            Surprising! I thought murderers were executed in the States. Why do they
            spend so much of your taxes in procedures that will (or must) sooner or
            later conclude to execution.
            (I'm more convinced he deserves that after reading the story).
            Louis-Luc
          • Robert J. Matter
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 9, 2001
              3L wrote:

              > Surprising! I thought murderers were executed in the States. Why do they
              > spend so much of your taxes in procedures that will (or must) sooner or
              > later conclude to execution.
              > (I'm more convinced he deserves that after reading the story).
              > Louis-Luc

              Not all states have the death penalty. Illinois, where this murder occurred, has the death penalty, but Governor Ryan (who received campaign contributions from drivers license examiners selling licenses to truck drivers when he was secretary of state) put a moratorium on executions because so many inmates on death row were found innocent upon closer examination, like by DNA testing.

              The death penalty basically executes poor people in the USA. And since poor people are disproportionately minorities, it is minorities who get executed, innocent or guilty. This has a lot to do with poor people not being able to afford good legal help. So they get government appointed lawyers, who for instance, sleep during the trial.

              Even though I think Carnell Fitzpatrick should be punished, I don't think Illinois should lift it's moratorium on the death penalty. Killing him will not bring Thomas McBride back, and it has been shown that the death penalty does not deter crime. I have far greater concerns about giving the state power to kill its citizens. That power could be misused by those in power.

              I believe Texas, where King George II is from, executes the most people. They even execute retarded people down there.

              -Bob Matter
              Hammond, IN
              -----------
              "Drivers have to understand that cyclists are really helping
              save the environment and the wear and tear on the streets."
              --Richard M. Daley, Mayor of Chicago
            • T. J. Binkley
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 10, 2001
                >Try the PDF version (you need Acrobat Reader) at:
                >
                ><http://www.access-board.gov/publications/PROW%20Guide/pdf/PROWguide.pdf>
                >
                >I think there are illustrations of several treatments on page 37 (IIRC).

                Found it! (diagram p. 38) Thanks. Interesting design. All curb cuts
                should be like this. Better for pedestrians too.

                -T.J.