[carfree_cities] Montréal: Ile-Sainte-Hélène/Ile-Notre-Dame carfree?

  • Louis-Luc Le Guerrier
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2000
      Hello everyone,

      If you're over 33, you may have visited EXPO '67: the World's Exhibition
      held in Montreal. You may remember it was a great place where people
      could walk almost everywhere with very few cars on the site.

      Afterwards, and until now La Ronde attraction park continues to operate,
      but elsewhere it has become a beautiful park with pic-nic areas, trees,
      playgrounds, etc... Only one bad thing is there are still some roads
      accessible to cars, and some cars drivers still using them. So these few
      cars can create all the trouble because drivers drive fast since they
      think they're lonely. So one still can't walk 100% safely, children
      can't play 100% safely, and you still can't get silence and clean air.

      Did the authorities receive complaints?

      Maybe. A few weeks ago, the poll question of the day from La Presse
      newspaper read: "Do you want to eliminate cars from Ile-Sainte-Hélène
      and Ile-Notre-Dame?". I answered YES!

      Therefore, it's a good idea to continue to promote the carfree concept
      in
      large cities like Montréal, to earn, slowly but certainly, some more
      space available to walk, bike or rollerblade *without feeling your life
      may be in danger*.

      It's not done yet for the islands, it was just a poll, but we need to
      let authorities know that the carfree idea is growing, to turn the talks
      into actions.

      Louis-Luc
    • Ronald Dawson
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2000
        M. Le Guerrier wrote:
        >Hello everyone,
        It's nice to have another Montrealer on the list!
        I'm not old enough to remember EXPO, but it looked pretty good.
        (It was Canada's 100th birthday.)

        >Afterwards, and until now La Ronde attraction park continues to operate,
        >but elsewhere it has become a beautiful park with pic-nic areas, trees,
        >playgrounds, etc... Only one bad thing is there are still some roads
        >accessible to cars, and some cars drivers still using them. So these few
        >cars can create all the trouble because drivers drive fast since they
        >think they're lonely. So one still can't walk 100% safely, children
        >can't play 100% safely, and you still can't get silence and clean air.

        I know what you mean, I've walked the place.

        >Therefore, it's a good idea to continue to promote the carfree concept
        >in large cities like Montréal, to earn, slowly but certainly, some more
        >space available to walk, bike or rollerblade *without feeling your life
        >may be in danger*.

        Amen to that.

        >It's not done yet for the islands, it was just a poll, but we need to
        >let authorities know that the carfree idea is growing, to turn the talks
        >into actions.

        I second that.

        >Louis-Luc

        Louis-Luc and others here are a two URLs, you might want to check out.
        A Montreal Tramway map from 1941 (our tram system was mistakenly scraped in
        1959) and now there's talk about light rail, ain't life weird.
        http://www.emdx.qc.ca/rail/MTC1941/MontrealTramwaysCompany-1941.gif
        The group I belong to fighting to improve public transit in Quebec.
        http://www.consommateur.qc.ca/t2000/index.htm Currently, we are fighting for
        more commuter rail short term and with light rail long term.
        Dawson
      • Louis-Luc Le Guerrier
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4, 2000
          > It's nice to have another Montrealer on the list!
          > I'm not old enough to remember EXPO, but it looked pretty good.
          > (It was Canada's 100th birthday.)

          I'm as happy as you, to know many Montrealers work to solve the
          problem. Me too, I'm too young to have gone to EXPO.

          > >think they're lonely. So one still can't walk 100% safely, children
          > >can't play 100% safely, and you still can't get silence and clean
          air.

          > I know what you mean, I've walked the place.

          Yes. Quebec is known to be the province where car drivers are the
          least respectful towards other road users. We're behind other
          Canadian provinces and most other countries. Is it why Quebec has the
          world's highest suicide rate? There might be a relationship :-(

          Louis-Luc
        • Ronald Dawson
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 5, 2000
            Louis-Luc wrote:
            >Yes. Quebec is known to be the province where car drivers are the
            >least respectful towards other road users. We're behind other
            >Canadian provinces and most other countries. Is it why Quebec has the
            >world's highest suicide rate? There might be a relationship :-(
            >Louis-Luc

            I don't think it is the reason for such a high rate, but your right that a
            lot of people drive as if they were in a Formula 1 race or maybe they are
            just Jacques Villeneuve wanna be's.

            I did find a interesting almost carfree thing at MSNBC that others might
            want to read. http://www.msnbc.com/news/381520.asp Till later,
            Dawson